MuseScore 4.2 Released

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
Pepperoni

MuseScore 4.2 Released

Post by Pepperoni »

MuseScore 4.2 was just released.
https://musescore.org/en

An overview of the changes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X9IH1adyxs

This release seems to be focused on Guitar, including a Guitar library for Muse Sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kuYPrAd_VA

Their release cadence seems to have noticeably increased since the release of the overhauled version 4.
OCTO

Re: MuseScore 4.2 Released

Post by OCTO »

MuseScore goes into the right direction.

The only things I am missing right now are:
- support for custom lines, boxes and shapes.
- partial SVG export, and SVG export that gives 100% size (not 800%).
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

hmm, the little harp pedal widget is cute.
I sort of wish Dorico had something like that.

How does MS handle things like complex divisi of parts? (for example, strings that have multiple divisi in different configurations)

How does MS handle these divisi between score and parts? what if a divisi starts mid-system in a part but at the beginning of a system in the score? or vice-versa? how about divisi a2 on one page, then unison, then divisi in4 a page later?
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Does it do cut-away scores?
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

I'm most definitely not a user of cutaway scores (having heard too many conductors complain about them and express just how much they hate reading from them), but I know they are a VERY much requested addition to Dorico.

I'm also curious whether MS can do them.

I know Finale does. Can Sibelius?
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

MichelRE wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 20:05but I know they are a VERY much requested addition to Dorico.
Can't Dorico create cutaway??

Yes, MuseScore can with a click create cut-away staffs.

But in my experience, after doing one large vocal score and one large orchestral score in Sibelius, that Finale's "Staff Styles" are one of the most clever, straightforward and ingenious inventions, that cannot be matched with other software. One of the things why I don't give up with Finale so easily. @dspreadbury - "staff styles" should be incorporated into Dorico, because it is the powerful way to control so many parameters of a stave, be it dependent or independent. I wish they just copy the system into Dorico, and I will be there - yesterday!

@MichelRE I haven't done so much large scores in MuseScore so I cannot answer to your question about divisi properly. I mostly use MuseScore as a teaching tool, so that students can open files on all platforms, for free; or in a liturgical context for the choir members. MuseScore has improved the output and is indeed very beautiful.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 15.17.35.png
Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 15.17.35.png (162.88 KiB) Viewed 75776 times
Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 15.13.50.png
Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 15.13.50.png (80.01 KiB) Viewed 75777 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
odod

Post by odod »

What I like about MS 4 also it's ability to select similar elements on the staff, a time saver.
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service