Dorico slurs and beams

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
Fred G. Unn

Re: Dorico slurs and beams

Post by Fred G. Unn »

It was actually a collision with an accidental and a flat beam that started me down this path again. My current settings handle Ross pg 118 pretty well too.
ross118.png
ross118.png (86.21 KiB) Viewed 168918 times
NeeraWM

Post by NeeraWM »

This gives so much food for thought!
The only thing I don’t like of Ross’s prescriptions is the 1 1/4 slant for 4ths and 5ths. It’s too big for me.
When straddling both is possible (note in space most of the times) I prefer 1 space slant.
When this is not possible, I prefer to have it sit-hang or hang-sit, thus with 1/2 space slant.
Thank you for advising on the order of adjusting settings.
I now recall the reason why I hadn’t shortened the quaver’s stems: on multiple voices it was looking very poor.
It’s a chess game, where your goal is… a draw! :-)
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

NeeraWM wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 21:46 The only thing I don’t like of Ross’s prescriptions is the 1 1/4 slant for 4ths and 5ths. It’s too big for me.
I agree with you. I tried to get as close to Ross as I could, just to see what was possible, and then I actually went back and slightly softened a bunch of the angles for my own defaults.
NeeraWM

Post by NeeraWM »

I have a dream: beam slant sets!
You open the editor, set your ideal slants for every interval and up-down stem and it gets applied whenever possible!