Scores in C or transposing?

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Anders Hedelin

Re: Scores in C or transposing?

Post by Anders Hedelin »

benwiggy wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 08:42 I'm ever thankful that voices aren't transposing instruments...! :lol:
Well, not supposed to be anyway.
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

The laziness of this topic equals learning G clef only and expecting everything else outside it to be written in octave (8va).
The bass clef is visually transposed G clef, and vice versa.

Just learn damn transposition. It is as difficult as learning riding a bike.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

I think I may be misunderstanding the "laziness" comment.

I read very fluently in Treble, Alto, and Bass clefs. (as a matter of fact, I sometimes find myself reading material from Treble or Bass clefs in Alto, for some reason. It's like I can't turn off "alto mode" while reading.)
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

OCTO wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 00:04 The laziness of this topic equals learning G clef only and expecting everything else outside it to be written in octave (8va).
The bass clef is visually transposed G clef, and vice versa.

Just learn damn transposition. It is as difficult as learning riding a bike.
Octo, why so harsh on us who haven't got your speedy uptake? I learned how to ride a bike when I was 7 or 8, but still, at 74, haven't learnt to read a transposing score as fast as a newspaper article. In the the end I get there though, if the music is worth the effort.

Do you really think that I'm lazy? If so, welcome to visit reality.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

MichelRE wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 13:16 I think I may be misunderstanding the "laziness" comment.
Yes, that was indeed a bit awkward.
Anders Hedelin wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 13:29
OCTO wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 00:04 Just learn damn transposition. It is as difficult as learning riding a bike.
Octo, why so harsh on us who haven't got your speedy uptake? I learned how to ride a bike when I was 7 or 8, but still, at 74, haven't learnt to read a transposing score as fast as a newspaper article. In the the end I get there though, if the music is worth the effort.

Do you really think that I'm lazy? If so, welcome to visit reality.
Actually, it is matter of practicing. Let us say, instead of bike, something more serious – driving a car. Well, if you drive once in a while, you will be slow, perhaps very alert, easy tired and so on. If you don't drive for a few years – it will be even more daunting.

Learning how to read transposition can be tricky. It is like learning driving car by yourself or with a teacher.

Try this (not to you Anders, but to the general audience): play on the piano chromatic scale through two octaves, up and down, until you are fluent. Now play it with one hand in minor thirds up and down, until you are fluent. Then, play it with one hand in P4, and in P5, until it is fluent too. Next, play again in the major seconds, until you are fluent. You don't need to have the best ever LangLang-Horowitz fingering, don't worry.
It sounds pretty boring, no?
Now, play again in the minor thirds, but omit the tone below. Just use the same fingering, but do not play the lower pitches. Wonderful! Now you can play clarinet in A without any effort. Just play in m3 and omit the lower tone.

And I promise, after a few months, you will play directly transposed without any extra tones!

There is more about if you want to play 3 clarinets: in Bb, in A and in Eb - together. But it will be too long for today! ;)
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
JJP

Post by JJP »

I had to think about this for a moment, but it seems quite clever! 😊 it’s not the way I learned, but now I’m going to play around with it.
There is no computer problem so complex that it cannot be solved by a sledge hammer.

Symbols of Sound - music preparation and consulting
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

Octo, we are all different, with different needs and different inclinations. I'm rather fluent in transposition up to a point, but even if it would be nice to be better at that, as with anything, there are so many other things I'd rather develop as a musician. So, for me, writing scores in C is not being lazy, but being economical with the time and energy given to me.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

And – yes, I agree with you Anders!