Spacing problem

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
benwiggy

Re: Spacing problem

Post by benwiggy »

OCTO wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 21:31 Also, from what I can observe (possibly due to the browser's antialiasing), the note-heads appear to intersect with the staff lines. Ideally, the terminal points should align with the middle of the staff lines or at least coincide with the outer boundaries of the staff lines. I've noticed these "enlarged" note-heads in a score from one of my students, also he uses Dorico.

I prefer a more pronounced appearance in published scores ("boldish"), but I find that Dorico's output is a bit too bold, albeit inconsistently so. For instance, rests and augmentation dots appear excessively bold.
In my research for Sebastian, I found countless examples of plate engraving where the noteheads on a space visibly protruded over the staff lines.

Here's something I happen to be looking at right now. It's not a great scan, but you can clearly see that the noteheads jut over the lines.
Screenshot 26.png
Screenshot 26.png (15.47 KiB) Viewed 217 times
NeeraWM

Re: Spacing problem

Post by NeeraWM »

As John said, it is not too bad to begin with.
If this is a full score, and it is a vocal score, why not have the other staves smaller in general?
Or even just reduce the ones to, say, 95%, and it should prove to be much better already.