How to Write for PERCUSSION by Samuel Z. Solomon

Recommendations, opinions, and reviews of books and sites.
OCTO

How to Write for PERCUSSION by Samuel Z. Solomon

Post by OCTO »

...a comprehensive text that clearly explains and simplifies all issues that percussionists and composers face with respect to each other. Written from a percussionist's perspective, it examines the behind-the-scenes processes to uncover all the tools the composer needs to comfortably create innovative and skilled percussion composition.
ISBN-13: 978-0974472102
prc.jpg
prc.jpg (17.13 KiB) Viewed 17160 times
Comment: does anyone have this book? Comments by/for composers and engravers? It looks interesting. Writing correctly for percussion is very tricky.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Schneider

Re: How to Write for PERCUSSION by Samuel Z. Solomon

Post by Schneider »

No, I don't.
But yes pretty interesting.
Thanks for the tip.
Alexander Ploetz

Post by Alexander Ploetz »

I have it in my library and can not recommend it enough, it is one of the most useful of its kind, as it is not just a collection of rules, but aims at actually providing the reader with a percussionists perspective.

You should have a strong stomach though for a number of the engraved examples, which sometimes have been set a bit crudely with early twenty-noughts software.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Alexander, thank you very much for that comment.
It will be ordered now!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Ron

Post by Ron »

I guess I know what book I'll buy myself for Christmas this year with the money gifts that I receive.
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

As far as I can see, there is an expanded 2nd edition due in April 2016 with a reduced price offered for orders placed in advance.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I have ordered this new edition (the Second) and received it recently.
As stated above, some music examples are far from being "the state of engraving art", but the book for itself is definitely EXTREMELY useful. Any composer, editor, engraver or copyist should have it. Order it now. :)
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

One thing I'd like to warn, considering I have a relative who is a professional (concert) percussionist, that these sorts of engraving issues are still on this side of convention and passe. Because of the uniqueness and relative age of percussion notation, even though there is a general consensus in the industry, there is also a lot of misinformation, "making due with what you have", and re-inventing of the wheel.

That being said, most solo percussion works I've come across utilize a generally agreed view of articulations, and modeling for certain instruments.

But, there are some things that will downright confuse a percussionist who has seen notation change so often.

It's generally very helpful to put tables indicating "common use" for the instruments as a reference in case something is not explained well or in its own context cannot be determined.
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

My copy (2nd edition) has just arrived in this morning's post. £20 from Amazon UK, paperback edition (except that the 'paper' cover is some rather weird plastic-like substance).

It looks a useful guide, especially as I will soon be embarking on a piece in which one of the musicians is to be a virtuoso percussionist. (Commissioned for first performance Oct/Nov 2017.)
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/