Different outputs

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
OCTO

Different outputs

Post by OCTO »

What is difference between these two files?
Any comment is welcome.
Attachments
drawing.pdf
(80.29 KiB) Downloaded 383 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Re: Different outputs

Post by John Ruggero »

The second example has some stem issues with 16th notes.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I don't know how it is rendered on your screen, what do you mean as "issue"?
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

OCTO wrote:What is difference between these two files?
I don't see any difference at all between the two. I even rotated the page so I could cross my eyes to see the difference (since I couldn't see anything different in the normal orientation) and I didn't see any aberrations in what my left eye saw vs what my right eye saw. Is there something truly different?
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
Knut

Post by Knut »

tisimst wrote:
OCTO wrote:What is difference between these two files?
I don't see any difference at all between the two. I even rotated the page so I could cross my eyes to see the difference (since I couldn't see anything different in the normal orientation) and I didn't see any aberrations in what my left eye saw vs what my right eye saw. Is there something truly different?
+1
Alexander Ploetz

Post by Alexander Ploetz »

Grace note ledger line have different thickness, but I wouldn't have found it if I had not been looking for, well... anything.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Correct.
This is my test, which is connected and resulted from another thread. IMO, the grace notes and cautionary clefs should be emboldened to correct the BW-balance with the rest of music. Finale and I guess Sibelius don't do this, but just resize everything equally. The difference between thin lines of reduced symbols and the rest of regular sized music dramatically increases, which makes a "drop" in the visual perception and quick assimilation by musicians.

The items which are manually edited are:
- cautionary G clef is emboldened slightly
- grace-ledger lines are equal to normal ledger lines
- grace-stems are equal to normal stems
- grace-accidentals are emboldened

If none has noticed anything dramatic, it means this can be a good way to do this.
P.s. my ledger lines are pretty heavy, but my point here is to have the same thickness both graces and normals.
P.s.2 some items like g-clef could be emboldened even more. Knut has done a good versions of boldness: not all parts of the clef should be equally emboldened.
Knut

Post by Knut »

I agree. This is essentially the same problem that arises when mixing different staff sizes in the same score.

In a widely spaced score like this, very slight changes are harder to see than in a denser score. Also, as I mentioned in another thread, a bolder music font is less sensitive to this issue than the incredibly thin fonts à la Maestro.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

OCTO, your thickness revisions are excellent. However, the revision to the grace note stems is what caused the stem issue I noted above. A screen shot:
Stems.jpg
Stems.jpg (34.74 KiB) Viewed 10035 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John, that is correct. I just didn't have time to edit also these. It was to late...