Finale: Flags and stems

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
benwiggy

Finale: Flags and stems

Post by benwiggy »

Here's a problem that I have with Finale, and I'd be interested for your thoughts. The default stem thickness in Finale is 0.5pt. If the stem is made any thicker -- even 0.6pt, then it becomes thicker than the tapered end of the quaver flag, and so 'sticks out a bit'. One solution might be to place the flag further down the stem, but then your stem (plus flag) is no longer 3.5 spaces long.

Here's a mock up in Illustrator. Obviously, the stem is far too thick, but it shows the problem.
Screen Shot.png
Screen Shot.png (26.47 KiB) Viewed 7576 times
So, basically, my question is: should I keep the stem thickness at 0.5pt? (Staff height reductions will reduce this further.)
Or is there another option?
Knut

Re: Finale: Flags and stems

Post by Knut »

benwiggy wrote:Here's a problem that I have with Finale, and I'd be interested for your thoughts. The default stem thickness in Finale is 0.5pt. If the stem is made any thicker -- even 0.6pt, then it becomes thicker than the tapered end of the quaver flag, and so 'sticks out a bit'. One solution might be to place the flag further down the stem, but then your stem (plus flag) is no longer 3.5 spaces long.

Here's a mock up in Illustrator. Obviously, the stem is far too thick, but it shows the problem.
Screen Shot.png
So, basically, my question is: should I keep the stem thickness at 0.5pt? (Staff height reductions will reduce this further.)
Or is there another option?
You can increase the stem length in document options to compensate for lowering the flag.
Beyond that, your only options are to use a different font with thicker flags, or to keep the stem thickness as is.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Is the note-head offset as well?
I find up-stem flag to be misplaced by default (stem drops out).
Knut wrote:You can increase the stem length in document options
I think that it than affects non-flagged stems as well, what he doesn't want.
That is definitely an issue. The flagged notes should have 'shorter' stems, in order to work with different flag-sizes.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:Is the note-head offset as well?
I find up-stem flag to be misplaced by default (stem drops out).
Knut wrote:You can increase the stem length in document options
I think that it than affects non-flagged stems as well, what he doesn't want.
That is definitely an issue. The flagged notes should have 'shorter' stems, in order to work with different flag-sizes.
You're absolutely right. Sorry, I wasn't thinking.

And I agree that it should be possible to have individual stem lengths for flagged and unfledged notes.
This is also definitely one of the drawbacks from using the razor thin computer music fonts à la Maestro.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Many thanks for your thoughts.