Cross Staff - spacing

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
OCTO

Cross Staff - spacing

Post by OCTO »

I continue from another thread:
Knut wrote: Btw, regardless of the stance one takes on this issue, it's important to note that all stem-up notes adjacent to the barline must receive space compensation on optical grounds in the same way as any stem up-note followed by a stem-down note:
Ex-1.jpg
Ex-1.jpg (7.98 KiB) Viewed 10745 times
So my question is following, is this a good spacing?
MuseScore:
MUSESCORE DEFAULT
MUSESCORE DEFAULT
shot 5.png (19.39 KiB) Viewed 10745 times
Finale:
FINALE DEFAULT
FINALE DEFAULT
shot 7.png (20.79 KiB) Viewed 10745 times
My "correction" would be:
MUSESCORE EDITED
MUSESCORE EDITED
shot 4.png (18.83 KiB) Viewed 10745 times
FINALE EDITED
FINALE EDITED
shot 8.png (21.03 KiB) Viewed 10745 times
But I am unsure if it is more correct?
John Ruggero

Re: Cross Staff - spacing

Post by John Ruggero »

IMO, the edited Finale version has the correct spacing. The stems should be equally spaced, not the note heads.

I would bring the staves closer together and flatten the beam, since the pattern is static.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

John is right about the principle. However, to my eyes, none of your edits has nailed this exactly, even if your Finale version is pretty close.

Here's how I think it should look:
Skjermbilde 2016-05-10 kl. 16.40.35.png
Skjermbilde 2016-05-10 kl. 16.40.35.png (97.81 KiB) Viewed 10735 times
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Knut wrote:John is right about the principle. However, to my eyes, none of your edits has nailed this exactly, even if your Finale version is pretty close.

Here's how I think it should look:
Yes, it was my rush job. This is absolutely better.

What software can do the correct output by default? Any plug-in for Finale?
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

OCTO wrote:What software can do the correct output by default?
LilyPond does exactly this by default:
default-lilypond-cross-staff-spacing.png
default-lilypond-cross-staff-spacing.png (29.78 KiB) Viewed 10708 times
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:What software can do the correct output by default? Any plug-in for Finale?
[/quote]

As shown by tisimst, Lilypond is the only currently available software I know of (perhaps with the exception of SCORE) that will do this and all other optical spacing compensations automatically.

As far as I know, there's no plug-in that will help with these calculations in Finale, unfortunately.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I think that OCTO's edited Finale version is actually better, because the notes in each hand should be equally spaced on each staff through the measure, even if they are not equally spaced in relationship to the note heads in the other hand.

As I mentioned previously, since there is no net movement, the beam should be horizontal. This is mentioned in E. Gould. And it is best if the staves not be too far apart.

Here is an example to give the idea. It is not perfect.
Cross-beamed notes.jpg
Cross-beamed notes.jpg (32.73 KiB) Viewed 10695 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:I think that OCTO's edited Finale version is actually better, because the notes in each hand should be equally spaced on each staff through the measure, even if they are not equally spaced in relationship to the note heads in the other hand.

As I mentioned previously, since there is no net movement, the beam should be horizontal. This is mentioned in E. Gould. And it is best if the staves not be too far apart.

Here is an example to give the idea. It is not perfect.

Cross-beamed notes.jpg
I agree.

The important thing here is not to forget about the spacing between the beam groups, which should be given the same amount of space as everything else to make the spacing completely even.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I think we all agree about the way it should be. Is there any clear reference in the engraving rules literature about it?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:I think we all agree about the way it should be. Is there any clear reference in the engraving rules literature about it?
Yes, this is addressed in Die Praxis des Notengraphikers by Herbert Chlapik. There's a presentation of the optical spacing aspects discussed in the book here: http://matthewmaslanka.blogspot.no/2009 ... acing.html