Multiple-instrument parts (?)

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
OCTO

Multiple-instrument parts (?)

Post by OCTO »

There are two ways to create the parts:
- Parts that consist of multiple-instrument parts (such as Flute 1 & 2, or Trombones 1, 2, 3).
- However, today many computer engraved scores consists of single-instrument parts only.

Once I created a part with "Flute 1 & 2" and the orchestra librarian protested. I replied that it is a normal way sending him parts of some older scores (parts).

I think that there is in a way efficiency when having all three parts (Piccolo, Flute, 1 Flute 2) in one part: no need to create cues, easy to understand texture, and what is the most important: one part editing (instead of three).

What is your way to do parts or opinion in general?
David Ward

Re: Multiple-instrument parts (?)

Post by David Ward »

Speaking as a (one-time) trombonist, I never liked playing from multiple parts and would always try to have them recopied if there was time.

Unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise (which indeed may exist with some pieces), I think it's usually best to avoid multiple wind or brass parts.

Others may disagree.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
RMK

Post by RMK »

As an orchestral librarian, I would protest as well unless each instrument was on a separate staff as in many French editions (as long as there were good page turns).
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

The Most editions have on separat staves each instrument.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
JAS

Post by JAS »

In my opinion it is much better to make separate parts for every wind instrument. It is not so much work to do proper cues etc. One way to save time in this is to make a copy of the score file and insert all cues there (you can do so much quick copy-pasting), and only then extract all the parts. Especially in Finale it works fine, Sibelius is a bit different, but also there I have one file for score and other for parts.

I think not a single publishing house nowadays would accept 2 instrument parts, even when they are on separate staves. I think this practice was done in turn of the 19th and 20th centuries only to make works playable by smaller orchestras. If there was, let say only 1 oboe, then he could play 2nd oboe notes in chords which weren't doubled by other instruments... Or some secondary lines.