Finale: fine-tuning Music spacing

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
benwiggy

Finale: fine-tuning Music spacing

Post by benwiggy »

This may be well known to some, but here's a useful trick/feature that I hadn't really paid much attention to until now.

In Document Options > Music Spacing, there's an setting for "Minimum Distance between Items". The default value is 3pt (12 EVPUs).

I had a system with lots of beamed notes, where accidentals were crashing against the preceding note. By increasing this value to 6pt and respacing the system, it actually produced a better overall result.

Obviously, the value of this setting may need to vary, depending on the nature of the music. You can set the Distance, then respace a selection, then change the Distance and respace another selection.
It's another tool in the spacing armoury, which may otherwise be forgotten. It also seems to have an effect on lyric syllables and hyphens.
tisimst

Re: Finale: fine-tuning Music spacing

Post by tisimst »

That's a great tip, benwiggy! Thanks for sharing that. I can see what that does in my mind's eye, but I wonder if you could post a side-by-side graphic of the default 3pt vs. the increased 6pt distance for posterity sake. Even a couple of bars would be sufficient, I think.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Here's the offending passage: top is 6pt; bottom is 3pt. I presume it's more of a reference value (on the full size staff?) rather than actually putting 6pt around everything, which would be mad.
Attachments
Screen Shot 4.png
Screen Shot 4.png (46.55 KiB) Viewed 13058 times
Screen Shot 3.png
Screen Shot 3.png (47.3 KiB) Viewed 13058 times
Last edited by benwiggy on 01 Dec 2016, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Thanks, benwiggy! For some reason, the forum software put them in reverse order (after on top, before on bottom), but I got the idea.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

How does it affect on the global spacing: documents get more pages as well?
Also, what is the minimum distance, just the note-spacing?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

If you've locked the systems, it doesn't affect the pages. I think that what it does is to give more room to things that are close together, at the expense of things that are further apart. So in the example above, the minims get less space and the beamed notes get more.
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

Both interesting & useful: thank you Ben.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
qanunji

Post by qanunji »

well, in my settings I reduced it to only 2 EVPU.
why? just type 4 eight's with an accidental in one of them, you'll see that in not so much crowded score the spacing between them is changing because of the accidental.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

qanunji wrote:well, in my settings I reduced it to only 2 EVPU.
why? just type 4 eight's with an accidental in one of them, you'll see that in not so much crowded score the spacing between them is changing because of the accidental.
Yes, I certainly think that different values work better for different types of system. It may be that tighter systems benefit from a larger value and "looser" ones would benefit from a smaller value.
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

I've just found increasing the minimum distance between items from 3 pt to 4 pt has cured a tendency to collisions on a reduced (65%) stave in those bars in which this stave has more notes (shorter values) than the full sized staves. (I may up-load a screenshot later.)

So very many thanks again Ben for drawing attention to this.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/