Braces

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Schneider

Re: Braces

Post by Schneider »

Thank you Wess!
And yes, font is Century SchoolBook-L 'bold'.
wess-music

Post by wess-music »

Thank you again, Schneider,

this version of the font is great. I just downloaded and analysed it. It would probably solve many problems with visibility of the text blocks whatsoever may be.
Times is good and too modern for my consideration.

I am tired from all this new designed fonts. The recently engraved scores (most of the) do not look elegant as the old school ones.
That is why I developed two fonts dedicated to the layout of Peters and Henle, but here is not the place to talk about this, because the subject are the piano braces.
________

Last hours I am thinking over to test the "Lolly".
Do you know if there are any documentations (instructions) and can it be installed on Mac?

Thank you.

best regards,
Wess
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Pierre or Schneider (I am sorry, I am not sure which you prefer),

In your latest example, the braces, brackets, and everything else is so clean and clear; it is beautiful. Perhaps LilyPond has a different look that one must acquire as a taste. However, for me, the brackets are too far from the staves, but the brace is an excellent distance from the bracket.

Wess, I tried that Opus brace on a grand staff and it was indeed not very good.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
wess-music

Post by wess-music »

Dear John,

I assumed that you have right about the horizontal distance from the staff.
So, I made another attempt to create a new brace, based this time more or less on sample 6, which in my opinion looks very balanced.
Here it is.
Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 11.02.34.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 11.02.34.png (9.39 KiB) Viewed 10991 times
If you, or someone of our colleagues, is interested I could post the settings as part of Finale "piano brace designer".

Best regards,
Wess
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Wess, that distance looks fine for a piano solo grand staff. Your brace is beautiful, and I am interested in your settings. Please post it! I didn't realized that you did it with Finale!
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

wess-music

Post by wess-music »

Dear John, here is the picture of the appropriate settings:
PIANO BRACE NEW.png
PIANO BRACE NEW.png (102.27 KiB) Viewed 10978 times
As you can see, the distance I suggest is 10 EVPU (ca. 0,4166 spaces)

Best regards,
Wess
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thank you so much, Wess. I just ran into an issue with the Finale default brace of the type you illustrated with the staves of a grand staff set to 65%. This symbol is definitely not shrinkable without great distortion.

wess-music

Post by wess-music »

Dear John, I lead an attempt to solve this issue and here it is.
PIANO BRACE 70% staff.png
PIANO BRACE 70% staff.png (101.41 KiB) Viewed 10963 times
And now you can see how it works.
Both staves on a grand staff are close enough. Even though there are no significant distortions. However, if you go to opposite – applying huge distance between both staves, the picture will be not as pleasant as the illustrated one.
SAMPLE Brace.png
SAMPLE Brace.png (53.31 KiB) Viewed 10963 times
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Dear Wess, I am very sorry for the unforgivably long time in responding to your help. I just tried the smaller brace and it works beautifully through a surprisingly wide range of staff distances, which is perfect for my application. Thank you so much.

wess-music

Post by wess-music »

I am glad, dear friend!

Wess