The Critical Editing of Music : History, Method, and Practice

Recommendations, opinions, and reviews of books and sites.
John Ruggero

Re: The Critical Editing of Music : History, Method, and Practice

Post by John Ruggero »

I have often wished for such a book, MarkSealey. Please post if you find one.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
MarkSealey

Post by MarkSealey »

Thanks, John - oddly: thanks!

Your comment is, of course, instructive… I conclude too that there isn't one :-(

I suspect that the Williams must, then, be the only/best available. Shall order it.
--
Mark Sealey
Music lover and listener for over 50 years.
Composer (formerly Logic, Sibelius) now Dorico - on Mac); writer on music; reviewer for Classical Net and MusicWeb; poet; educator; web developer (retired).
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks for bringing this up, Mark. I will order the Williams, as well. I suspect, though, that it doesn't have the kind of detail that would be most interesting: who first started doing this or that and when.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

MarkSealey

Post by MarkSealey »

John,

Thanks to you for your advice!

Additionally, although Amazon's 'Look Inside' isn't available for the Thomas Kelly, and so it's not clear where its end date may lie, I have ordered that also :-).
--
Mark Sealey
Composer (formerly Logic, Sibelius) now Dorico - on Mac); writer on music; reviewer for Classical Net and MusicWeb; poet; educator; web developer (retired).
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I think that the current, contemporary notation is what is distilled for last 400 years, thus our notation today represents the historical development, and the rules today are the most of the rules accumulated for centuries.
Therefore perhaps Williams is enough good so far to consider it to be "historical".

Here is to download it: Williams: https://archive.org/download/cu31924022 ... 319556.pdf

Apel: https://archive.org/download/notationof ... 00apel.pdf

I guess there should be another books but not in English. Try search with google translate into other languages.
Also more: https://archive.org/search.php?query=music%20notation - or try another search term (also german, french, italian, russain terms)
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MarkSealey

Post by MarkSealey »

Thanks, OCTO; Yes, for sure.

I'm curious about the actual historical phases themselves through which music notation and its conventions have passed.
--
Mark Sealey
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks, OCTO. That saved me from ordering the Williams, which is not my cup of tea. I think I'll wait for a report on the Kelly, Mark, I am concerned that it might be more of a coffee table book and not deal in enough detail with areas that interest me.

MarkSealey

Post by MarkSealey »

John,

It's certainly described as being at best but a little decaffeinated, isn't it.

But I allowed myself to be swayed by the several ('Early') music aficionados, whom one respects… Benjamin Bagby in particular.
--
Mark Sealey
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Mark, maybe your turn to write your own book on history of music notation? :)
I see the potential, but it is a very extensive task, indeed.
John has started numerous very interesting topics on notation in the historical editions, mostly on piano music. You can read it as an inspiration.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MarkSealey

Post by MarkSealey »

OCTO,

Your faith in me is kind and much appreciated :-).

I believe I could do so… I do perhaps have the qualifications (albeit in other fields… first degree in history etc).

But at this stage, I'm committed to composing; I fondly imagined there'd be such books on the history of engraving etc aplenty.

Have been surprised by what we've discovered this week.

The books we've discussed (and on which you've all kindly commented/guided me) are all now in the post :-)
--
Mark Sealey