Dorico Pro 2 released

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
OCTO

Re: Dorico Pro 2 released

Post by OCTO »

hautbois baryton wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 04:20 Lots (and lots) of talk about scores, but I've yet to see any part samples coming from this product. Anyone using it care to share?
Yes, good idea.
People use to say that "the result is wonderful" - what is meant by that? In comparison to Finale or Sibelius.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
hautbois baryton

Post by hautbois baryton »

I also want to see how movement titles are handled in parts when they occur in the middle of a page.

So many things I need to see before I even consider learning this program. There are lots of videos, but they all seem to be at such a superficial level that they don't really give information a power-user needs.
Composer and engraver
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

OCTO wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 07:32
hautbois baryton wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 04:20 Lots (and lots) of talk about scores, but I've yet to see any part samples coming from this product. Anyone using it care to share?
Yes, good idea.
People use to say that "the result is wonderful" - what is meant by that? In comparison to Finale or Sibelius.
Here's a sample Dorico document. I'm sure you'll be able to find all sorts of things wrong with it: I don't consider it finished by any means. (Mostly changing fonts.)

But here's the thing: I have manually adjusted FOUR THINGS. 1 tie, 2 articulations and 1 accidental.
I haven't Locked Measures to Systems;
I haven't adjusted the staff heights in the systems;
I haven't positioned the systems;
I haven't moved the lyric lines;
I haven't manually adjusted a single notehead. That's the result you get just from typing in the notation.

Dorico still lacks are few things for me -- editorial (bracketed) symbols and figured bass. When it can do that, I think it will be my first choice.
Attachments
Untitled.pdf
(451.36 KiB) Downloaded 784 times
Last edited by benwiggy on 10 Jun 2018, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
RMK

Post by RMK »

This really looks very good to me.

When Dorico allows for more flexibility with brackets and sub-brackets, it will also become my first choice.

Waiting for the flame war on clef design...
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

RMK wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 12:52When Dorico allows for more flexibility with brackets and sub-brackets, it will also become my first choice.
What particular flexibility are you looking for? There's a large range of brace and bracket options.
RMK

Post by RMK »

When using the new divisi feature, Dorico cannot add sub-brackets to, say, a divided Violin 1 section. Daniel Spreadbury has acknowledged this to me (in a comment on the Scoring Notes blog).

This is one area where Finale outshines both Sibelius and Dorico.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I am looking forward to trying Dorico again when it can do intricate piano fingering as easily as Finale, and has, as a safety net, graphic capabilities that will allow the user to go beyond what the designers have automated so that an entire project will not be doomed by something unforeseen by the designers.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
hautbois baryton

Post by hautbois baryton »

RMK wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 14:39 When using the new divisi feature, Dorico cannot add sub-brackets to, say, a divided Violin 1 section. Daniel Spreadbury has acknowledged this to me (in a comment on the Scoring Notes blog).

This is one area where Finale outshines both Sibelius and Dorico.
Are you saying if I suddenly have 3 solo violins with their own staves and a gli altri stave, I can't bracket the 3 solos?
Composer and engraver
Florian

Post by Florian »

hautbois baryton wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 19:25 Are you saying if I suddenly have 3 solo violins with their own staves and a gli altri stave, I can't bracket the 3 solos?
No indeed, you can't. Your 3 solo violins and the gli altri staff and (!) the second violins will all be bracketed together just because they're all playing the same instrument and there's nothing you can do about it except for turning off subbrackets completely.
What's more, it's currently not even possible to create subbrackets that contain all instruments of the same family (oboe, cor anglais etc.)...!
If I recall correctly, Daniel Spreadbury wrote at some point that they were planning to implement more flexibility in terms of bracket management and staff labeling in 2.0 but ran out of time… something like that. I seriously hope that they'll add this soon.
hautbois baryton wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 00:20 I also want to see how movement titles are handled in parts when they occur in the middle of a page.
There's no automatic solution for this yet. As of now, if you want flow titles in the middle of a page you have to create additional text and music frames yourself. Of course you can use a masterpage as a template for this but you always need to adjust the frame heights according to the music.

Speaking of parts and layouts: there's still one huge workflow issue. Many property changes are layout specific. This can be helpful, but it is not at all helpful if you create a crescendo line in the score but have set the default appearance for gradual dynamics to hairpins — although you entered it as a crescendo line, it will appear as a hairpin in the parts and you have to change this manually in every part for every instance. It's… annoying, to say the least.

Having said all of that, I still agree totally with benwiggy. There is no comparison with the the amount of tedious work I have to do in Finale to produce acceptable results and this makes Dorico a godsend. And then… the underlying concepts are so elegant, beautifully simple and well thought out that I enjoy working with Dorico more than I have ever enjoyed working with Finale.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Thanks benwiggy for your example. Looks good as not so much edited!
Some concerns about the ligature shapes (ties and slurs).
They don't look well imo, as it is case with the Sibelius default.
Some tie-settings need a crucial improvement,
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 13.00.17.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 13.00.17.png (6.41 KiB) Viewed 31416 times
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 13.00.10.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 13.00.10.png (7.65 KiB) Viewed 31416 times
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 12.59.21.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 12.59.21.png (11.68 KiB) Viewed 31416 times
...some ties look like slurs, and v-v.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)