Very Short Octave Sign Rant

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
John Ruggero

Re: Very Short Octave Sign Rant

Post by John Ruggero »

MalteM wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 17:52
But that reminds me of something that LilyPond is definitely missing. For time signatures there are digits from :n0 to :n9 which are used in smaller sizes f. e. also for fingerings but there are no corresponding italic digits (which could be used for original or alternative fingerings and ottava marks).
Yes, LilyPond definitely needs those.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
MalteM

Post by MalteM »

The first post shows different vertical alignments of the line for ottava alta, but always somewhere between 50% and 100% of the figure 8 height. I’d like to make the LilyPond default somewhere between, maybe something like 80%. What shuld the default then be for ottava bassa (when there is no text but only a number 8/15/22/…), 80% or 20%?
MalteM

Post by MalteM »

Any opinions, or better, sources? The numbers without letters will be default, so my question is mainly about the default alignments for bars 1 to 4:
Attachments
oktaven.png
oktaven.png (125.91 KiB) Viewed 5987 times
Florian

Post by Florian »

75 / 25 % looks about right to me.

I'm definitely not a fan of those solid hooks. They look awkward at best. (Why don't we start using differently dashed or dotted staff lines, too? With a bold solid middle line. That should improve orientation...)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

The alignments look OK to me, but the dashed lines look too airy and therefore less visible. I would prefer smaller dashes and smaller spaces.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

Prompted by this thread among other things, I've just started reconsidering my use of octava signs. So far I've dispensed with Finale's 8va and 8vb using 8 only, together with the vertical positioning of the extension line as found in some editions, as well as with Gould.

Reaching this point, I have to ask you, John, why is Durand your 'unfavorite'? In my eyes their octava signs and extensions look quite acceptable. I even think I prefer their dashed extensions to the dotted ones, as being in a sense more 'extensional'. A dotted line, for me, has a connotation of an alternative suggestion, as in 'for example this, or this .......'
Last edited by Anders Hedelin on 20 Apr 2020, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I think that's a good move, Anders; at least I've never regretted moving to 8 after it finally dawned on me that I wasn't seeing 8va in the best editions.

It's the whole Durand aesthetic that I am not fond of, although I am sure I would miss not seeing it in Debussy. I prefer more italic elements on the page and lighter auxiliary lines as a matter of contrast.

Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

John Ruggero wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 13:26 I prefer more italic elements on the page and lighter auxiliary lines as a matter of contrast.
Thanks, John. I have to ask though: auxiliary lines means the same as ledger lines?
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

I'm familiar with the word auxiliar, and with the expression 'auxiliar notes', but not with 'auxiliar lines'. Would you please explain that to me, non-native English user.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Sorry, Anders, it was imprecise wording on my part. I meant any long non-staff lines, like octave extension lines, pedal lines etc.