Slurs over systems

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
John Ruggero

Re: Slurs over systems

Post by John Ruggero »

Ben, Dorico seems to do a fine job with slurs over systems and produces pleasing shapes in most of the cases I tried, However, in one case, it fails: high or low ledger lines with the slur positioned outside the staff. Very strange because this case is so easily handled with a normal completely horizontal slur. I couldn't find any way to control the shape of slurs over systems in the engraving options.
Dorico starting slur.jpeg
Dorico starting slur.jpeg (12.93 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
Dorico ending slur.jpeg
Dorico ending slur.jpeg (11.44 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Oops. I guess I need a little of that back, Ben. I am encountering many more situations in Dorico that need adjustment. I can see why you posted about this. Maybe I need to change a setting for slur shape in general.
Dorico another starting slur.jpeg
Dorico another starting slur.jpeg (6.31 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
Dorico another ending slur.jpeg
Dorico another ending slur.jpeg (5.69 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

benwiggy wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 15:14If the computer can do it for me, then I see no reason to do it by hand!
(I am suspicious that there will be one setting (with variables) that covers all situations. Manual editing is a kind of art, anyway, always needed.)
Sorry for my interruption in the flow.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

There was a post somewhere on this forum when Dorico first came out of suggestions for improved slur values in the Options. I remember taking note of it, and they are now in my defaults.

There will undoubtedly be some manual intervention needed, but minimizing it is certainly a good thing.