"Urtext Kapellmeister"

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
tisimst

Re: "Urtext Kapellmeister"

Post by tisimst »

Very true
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
chase43078

Post by chase43078 »

jan wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 15:36 If I remember it correctly the only case where it's not possible is a hybrid font like November 2 or Aruvarb that uses both the first 255 characters AND the upper unicode blocks. These fonts are only fully compatible with Windows.
Until the most recent release of Finale 26.2.1.464 for Mac, I successfully used November2 in many of my scores. I had access to all glyphs and never had a problem. After reading your comment above, I opened some of my scores that utilize November2, and they are a mess.

Regarding the URTEXT fonts I mentioned earlier, the biggest problem I am having is an inability to access the alla breve symbol -- Finale shows the D.S. symbol instead. I still have not found a solution. This is all very frustrating, and I am wondering if the whole issue isn't an unknown bug with Finale vs. OS X Catalina.

Thanks to all for the comments and info.

-Chase
Chase
Tampa, FL, USA
Pianist, Organist, Singer, Composer, Arranger
Finale 26 - iMac 17,1
chase43078

Post by chase43078 »

benwiggy wrote: 15 Dec 2019, 14:36 If I remember, you must NOT add the font to the MacSymbolText.txt file (or whatever it's called), if it's a Unicode font with lots of extra glyphs (like November2). There is, or was, also a Mac Finale bug about accessing a certain small range of symbols.

Luckily, I'm beyond all that now. I'm very happily using Abraham Lee's MTF-Cadence in Dorico.
You are correct about November2, benwiggy. As I posted previously, I have used November2 for years successfully on a Mac. After your post (and the most recent update to Finale) I checked some of my scores that use it, and it was no longer working. After removing it from the MacSymbolFonts.txt list, it is working perfectly again. Thanks for the tip!
Chase
Tampa, FL, USA
Pianist, Organist, Singer, Composer, Arranger
Finale 26 - iMac 17,1