"Dorico dream"

Post longer texts as a blog or opinions that do not require comment.
User avatar
OCTO
Posts: 1404
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 06:52
Location: Sweden

"Dorico dream"

Post by OCTO »

Guys, maybe I have got mad, but yesterday I dreamed that I discussed various notation software with several people (I don't remember who), and suddenly Daniel Spreadbury came (I realised it was my home than) and he told me I should start considering Dorico for my music. We checked some scores and discussed how notation could be improved and I promised wholeheartedly that I will switch to Dorico very soon! Well....

I know that the world prophets dreamed the future, and I can say it is very possible to move to Dorico, but not sure if Daniel will visit my home, but who knows!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 25.5 • Sibelius 2020 • MuseScore 2+3 • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 10+ • Digital Performer 9+ /// MacOS Mojave, (side systems: Fedora 32, Windows 10)

User avatar
Den
Posts: 128
Joined: 06 Feb 2020, 13:14

Re: "Dorico dream"

Post by Den »

OCTO great ! ThnX for your info ;-)

benwiggy
Posts: 404
Joined: 11 Apr 2016, 19:42

Re: "Dorico dream"

Post by benwiggy »

He goes to everyone's house. That's the level of support you get. I can barely get rid of him some days.

User avatar
odod
Posts: 163
Joined: 25 Nov 2015, 15:10

Re: "Dorico dream"

Post by odod »

i just switched .. the only complain is i need to hold the shift key just to switch between hand and marquee mode .. the rests are fine, even though i had to lost lots of my custom fonts .. i don't know how to convert it
LogicX, Cubase 5, MacMini i7, Macbook Pro 2015, PowerMac G5, Sibelius 8, Finale, Musescore, Reaper, Apogee Duet, Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII, FontLab, tons of Faith and Prayers

Serenade Music Engraving Service

User avatar
OCTO
Posts: 1404
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 06:52
Location: Sweden

Re: "Dorico dream"

Post by OCTO »

odod wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 10:11
even though i had to lost lots of my custom fonts .. i don't know how to convert it
Maybe open Bravura in FontForge and swap your symbols, than save it again as Bravura. But that will lead to another repercussions!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 25.5 • Sibelius 2020 • MuseScore 2+3 • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 10+ • Digital Performer 9+ /// MacOS Mojave, (side systems: Fedora 32, Windows 10)

User avatar
odod
Posts: 163
Joined: 25 Nov 2015, 15:10

Re: "Dorico dream"

Post by odod »

OCTO wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 06:03
odod wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 10:11
even though i had to lost lots of my custom fonts .. i don't know how to convert it
Maybe open Bravura in FontForge and swap your symbols, than save it again as Bravura. But that will lead to another repercussions!
is it possible to do that ? i though it has something to do with json file .. anyway
i Bought the MTF fonts, some of the character are still missing from their fonts in Dorico
LogicX, Cubase 5, MacMini i7, Macbook Pro 2015, PowerMac G5, Sibelius 8, Finale, Musescore, Reaper, Apogee Duet, Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII, FontLab, tons of Faith and Prayers

Serenade Music Engraving Service

User avatar
OCTO
Posts: 1404
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 06:52
Location: Sweden

Re: "Dorico dream"

Post by OCTO »

odod wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 07:54
is it possible to do that ? i though it has something to do with json file .. anyway
i Bought the MTF fonts, some of the character are still missing from their fonts in Dorico
Hm, json? I don't have a clue. Perhaps you can ask in a new topic, would be great to hear others' responses.
Dorico has so many symbols that is now impossible to compete. I would suggest to edit/swap the symbols you actually use, usually these found in Maestro. I don't know if FontForge is the best tool to use, someone else can comment on this.
Yes, maybe start a new topic how to use/make custom fonts or symbols in or out from Bravura.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 25.5 • Sibelius 2020 • MuseScore 2+3 • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 10+ • Digital Performer 9+ /// MacOS Mojave, (side systems: Fedora 32, Windows 10)

User avatar
odod
Posts: 163
Joined: 25 Nov 2015, 15:10

Re: "Dorico dream"

Post by odod »

OCTO wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 08:31
odod wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 07:54
is it possible to do that ? i though it has something to do with json file .. anyway
i Bought the MTF fonts, some of the character are still missing from their fonts in Dorico
Hm, json? I don't have a clue. Perhaps you can ask in a new topic, would be great to hear others' responses.
Dorico has so many symbols that is now impossible to compete. I would suggest to edit/swap the symbols you actually use, usually these found in Maestro. I don't know if FontForge is the best tool to use, someone else can comment on this.
Yes, maybe start a new topic how to use/make custom fonts or symbols in or out from Bravura.
here's what i have found .. i bought the font, and those json are needed, and some of characters did not exist when i was trying with the demo project, and also i notice dorico's layout is a bit complex than Sibelius .. i think we need tantacrul to give his comment about Dorico
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 16.54.56.png
P.S : i will make a topic now
LogicX, Cubase 5, MacMini i7, Macbook Pro 2015, PowerMac G5, Sibelius 8, Finale, Musescore, Reaper, Apogee Duet, Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII, FontLab, tons of Faith and Prayers

Serenade Music Engraving Service

benwiggy
Posts: 404
Joined: 11 Apr 2016, 19:42

Re: "Dorico dream"

Post by benwiggy »

odod wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 07:54
OCTO wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 06:03
odod wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 10:11
even though i had to lost lots of my custom fonts .. i don't know how to convert it
Maybe open Bravura in FontForge and swap your symbols, than save it again as Bravura. But that will lead to another repercussions!
is it possible to do that ? i though it has something to do with json file .. anyway
i Bought the MTF fonts, some of the character are still missing from their fonts in Dorico
The MTF fonts should come with json files. These are (kind of) the equivalent of FAN files in Finale: they contain metric information beyond what is contained in the font itself, e.g. Stem connection points, cut-out regions, bounding boxes, optical center, composites, alternates ....

Don't forget that you can change any symbol in Dorico to another glyph from another font, or set Font Styles for things like Figured Bass, Dynamics, etc.

I am starting another post about creating SMuFL fonts, if that's of interest.

User avatar
odod
Posts: 163
Joined: 25 Nov 2015, 15:10

Re: "Dorico dream"

Post by odod »

benwiggy wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 13:35
odod wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 07:54
OCTO wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 06:03

Maybe open Bravura in FontForge and swap your symbols, than save it again as Bravura. But that will lead to another repercussions!
is it possible to do that ? i though it has something to do with json file .. anyway
i Bought the MTF fonts, some of the character are still missing from their fonts in Dorico
The MTF fonts should come with json files. These are (kind of) the equivalent of FAN files in Finale: they contain metric information beyond what is contained in the font itself, e.g. Stem connection points, cut-out regions, bounding boxes, optical center, composites, alternates ....

Don't forget that you can change any symbol in Dorico to another glyph from another font, or set Font Styles for things like Figured Bass, Dynamics, etc.

I am starting another post about creating SMuFL fonts, if that's of interest.
Hi Ben,

exactly .. today i found that Dorico can replace the symbol very EASY .. i do not thing i need to convert any of my fonts to SMUFL, as this feature is really handy. And yes, please do make the tutorial for creating SMUFL fonts .. i would love to learn it from you.

and here's the result of Dorico's Symbo Change feature, there are few things that i need to learn though, the Flow, and maybe some beaming adjustment etc.
01 - Full score - Scherzo - 001.png
LogicX, Cubase 5, MacMini i7, Macbook Pro 2015, PowerMac G5, Sibelius 8, Finale, Musescore, Reaper, Apogee Duet, Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII, FontLab, tons of Faith and Prayers

Serenade Music Engraving Service

Post Reply