Binding tricks

Printing, binding, promotion and the business side of engraving.
John Ruggero

Binding tricks

Post by John Ruggero »

Here are few tricks I learned about binding music from Arnold Arnstein.

For comb or spiral binding:

1. To make a durable sheet that will not pull through the binding holes, print the music single-sided and glue the pages back- to-back on the non-bound side with a thin line of rubber cement along the side edge. Do not glue the top or bottom edges or the middle of the pages. Such a page will rarely pull out of the binding and hold up for many years. (Present-day rubber cement is not always of good quality, so white glue might substitute as long as the page is pressed down by a heavy object to prevent wrinkling.)

2. Use combs or spirals one size larger than normally used, so that the comb or spiral is a little floppy. This allows silent turning of the page and also extends the life of the music. The warnings that I have seen about not using comb-binding for parts may actually be a result of not knowing this trick.

For all bindings:

3. To attach a fold-out page, use good quality masking tape. This tape will hold up for years and never break through.
The fold-out page should be cut approximately 1/4 inch narrower than the regular bound pages to allow easy turning and to prevent folding of the turning edge. To actually attach the pages, line up the two pages, apply two small pieces of masking tape to the corners to hold the pages in place and then run the long strip along the pages.

I have scores that are bound as above and they are still fine after decades of use. Sometimes the pages have to be reglued or masking tape replaced, but we are talking decades here.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
RMK

Re: Binding tricks

Post by RMK »

3M surgical paper tape also works well for taping in inserts, as well as general binding. It is non-acidic and makes a good hinge. I have parts I created more than 10 years ago that are still holding up well.

BTW, buy this tape directly from 3M, although you can find it in most pharmacies (in the US). Much cheaper.
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

John Ruggero wrote: 3. To attach a fold-out page, use good quality masking tape. This tape will hold up for years and never break through.
RMK wrote:3M surgical paper tape also works well for taping in inserts, as well as general binding. It is non-acidic and makes a good hinge.
I usually use acid free artist's tape, that you can get from an art supply store such as Lee's in NYC. As it is non-acidic as well, it is suitable for archival purposes and holds for a very, very long time. It's also plenty strong enough to hold up to the rigors of being on the road for an orchestra tour.
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

Also, we use acid-free paper that we get from a paper supplier. I can't remember the brand offhand, but I know the supplier gets it in flats of 25x38" that then get cut to create 8 sheets of 9.5x12.5" paper from each sheet without any waste. It used to be Nekoosa Solutions 100lb text weight in an off white color, but I think that was discontinued so I can't remember the brand we are using now. There are about 20 or so copyists in NYC that all go in on the order to save us $$$, since we get a bulk rate and the cutting fee is a flat rate regardless of how much we order.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your "tricks of the trade"!
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com