What does this symbol mean?

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
John Ruggero

Re: What does this symbol mean?

Post by John Ruggero »

Looks like natural harmonics on the open A and D strings.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
hautbois baryton

Post by hautbois baryton »

Thumb only with the Trumpets.
Composer and engraver
RickP

Post by RickP »

Why not just say "thumb"?

What does the symbol add to that?

As for natural harmonics, do you mean the faint ones near the 4th fret? Artificial harmonics would be easier and probably sound better, but then why say thumb? They aren't going to sound much different if you use a pick, which, btw, is much harder to do. In fact, I think it would be the hardest thing to play I've ever seen in a pro chart.

And then, why is a pro arranger writing a symbol that might not have seen before?

Sorry if this sounds ranty. I appreciate all the responses. Thanks.
Last edited by RickP on 09 Jul 2023, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
RickP

Post by RickP »

I wish I could provide more info. I've never seen it elsewhere. If it's natural harmonics to be played with thumb, it would be difficult to get it to sound good. If it's artificial harmonics, why say thumb? A thumb pick sounds like a flatpick, more or less, why specify that?

Thanks for responding.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Yo may need to take this to a guitar forum, Rick, unless we have a guitarist with answers in the house. I am ignorant about most things guitar and just took a wild guess since I see what is sometimes a symbol for harmonics over two notes two octaves higher than two open strings and an l.v. after them, which would be typical and very nice ending effect involving harmonics.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

RickP wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 03:49 And then, why is a pro arranger writing a symbol that might not have seen before?
You still haven't told us who the arranger or publisher is. Who is the arranger? Maybe it's a "house style" of that particular arranger or publisher that would become apparent if we could look at other examples of their work.

A similar symbol means to strike the top of the instrument. That seems pretty unlikely in a delicate context like this though.