unison wih different value noteheads, question

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
MichelRE

unison wih different value noteheads, question

Post by MichelRE »

when there is a passage of divisi, for example in a violin section, and a unison note occurs, with an accidental (for example, both parts playing the same C#).
but one part is playing a half note (white notehead) and the other is playing a quarter note (black notehead),

should the accidental be repeated for both noteheads?

or can one single # before both notes be used?

I'm looking at the particular spot in my score, and the extra distance of the 2nd sharp sign pushes the 2nd voice's note far to the right. it looks oddly spaced to me.
But I'd rather avoid any question as to whether or not both parts are actually playing that C as a sharp or not.
Attachments
notehead_question 2.png
notehead_question 2.png (912 Bytes) Viewed 59995 times
notehead_question.png
notehead_question.png (966 Bytes) Viewed 59996 times
David Ward

Re: unison wih different value noteheads, question

Post by David Ward »

Is this for the score only, with two staves in the part? Or is it like this for both score and part? I think I'd just have the one sharp if I were doing it myself, but I can't say with confidence whether or not this is strictly correct (obviously if the part is on two staves they will both need the sharp).
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

it's from the score, but the part is on one staff, the same disposition.
The divisi is too short to really warrant having an extra staff for that passage.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Never seen a second accidental on a perfect unison.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

so the fact that there is no natural sign implies that the quarter note C is also sharp?

thank-you.
this will look much neater in the score/part.
hautbois baryton

Post by hautbois baryton »

If you're worried, you can add a sharp in parentheses below the lower note's stem.
Composer and engraver
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

considering a C natural would REALLY not fit the harmony at that point, I'm going to cross my fingers and hope it's self-explanatory.

a few measures earlier there's an almost identical passage, but with B natural (with no displayed accidental) instead of C#, so it would be natural to assume that the same thing happens in both measures, just on different notes.

(and "oops", the open string indication is no longer needed, it's been removed. the passage was originally done in double stops, written a bit differently.)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

MichelRE wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 22:45 so the fact that there is no natural sign implies that the quarter note C is also sharp?
To my knowledge, it does and always has.

To be sure, I just checked a B&H miniature score of Tristan and immediately found several of these with one accidental for the unisons, so I think you are safe. But you could certainly add small cautionary below, as suggested by hautbois baryton, to be even safer.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 21:58 Never seen a second accidental on a perfect unison.
This.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

I think this is analogous to the basic rule that an accidental is valid throughout a measure.
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10