DaFalla piece

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
musicus

DaFalla piece

Post by musicus »

I've attached a section from Da Falla's Ritual Fire Dance, a piano arrangement. I have a question about line 3, meas.4. Probably few would think the E in the LH is anything but E-natural. But technically speaking, should that E have a courtesy accidental? I'm thinking that there are two voices (the C-G is the lower second voice) and therefore the E didn't need it, because there was no Eb in the same voice prior to it. Your thoughts?
Attachments
Falla.jpeg
Falla.jpeg (189.39 KiB) Viewed 9935 times
MichelRE

Re: DaFalla piece

Post by MichelRE »

there is a courtesy accidental.. above the E.
musicus

Post by musicus »

S..t! You have uncovered a ongoing weakness in me, in that I am location oriented to such a degree that if an object is not in its usual location, I might not find it, even if it's only inches away. Thank you for your comment. I have learned my lesson. :-)
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

I'm imagining that it was placed above as a way of avoiding the extra space it would cause before the note, considering there is that curved bracket between the low C and the E.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Ah! Makes sense.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

There is also a courtesy accidental on the A in the RH of the same measure, so this could be a publisher or composer style.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I would put it, since the bass part is played by one person, and with one hand.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)