Repetitions in early classical notation

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
Bernd14

Repetitions in early classical notation

Post by Bernd14 »

Hi everyone,
I just signed up to this forum to ask this question. In the attached image there are a few places in the manuscript where the composer used a wavy line to indicate that the pattern should be repeated (or so I assume). I just don't get what c. B. stands for in the viola part...
Does anybody have an idea? For reference this is 'Abraham auf Morija' an oratorio by Joh. Heinr. Rolle. The manuscript is available on IMSLP.
Thanks for anyone that is willing to look into this. And I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230912-111345.png
Screenshot_20230912-111345.png (2.21 MiB) Viewed 7181 times
Fred G. Unn

Re: Repetitions in early classical notation

Post by Fred G. Unn »

"col" (with) or just "c" has been manuscript shorthand for centuries. I'm assuming here it just means the Viola continues the same line as the Basso Continuo group (Fondamento) but at the octave above as notated.
Bernd14

Post by Bernd14 »

That makes sense. Thank you very much.
On the next page there are a few instances of c. VV. Or something that looks similar. Would that mean 'as above'?
Callasmaniac

Post by Callasmaniac »

That would be "col Violini" - with violins.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

The symbol that looks like a trill squiggle finished off with an upward flourish is a "custos" which was usually used as a guide or warning at the end of the staff to indicate the pitch of the next note on the following line. Here it is being used to show the first note of the abbreviated groups.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Bernd14

Post by Bernd14 »

Thank you very much.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

You are very welcome, Bernd14. It's an interesting case.

And welcome to Notat.io! Please post other items of interest.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com