fingered tremolo

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
hautbois baryton

fingered tremolo

Post by hautbois baryton »

Hi all, what are your thoughts on the following fingered tremolo patterns (in 4/4)?
fingtrem1.jpg
fingtrem1.jpg (103.94 KiB) Viewed 61937 times
The issues standing out to me are:
  • A: The tremolos on the "and" of 2 can be confusing
  • B: 3-beat tremolo hides beat 3 of the measure (this one looks okay to me)
  • C: 2-beat tremolo hides beat 3 of the measure
Attachments
fingtrem2.jpg
fingtrem2.jpg (119.39 KiB) Viewed 61937 times
Composer and engraver
hautbois baryton

Re: fingered tremolo

(score page attached for context if you're interested)
Attachments
Rhapsodie_Capricieuse-score-trblsht.pdf
(72.5 KiB) Downloaded 1564 times
Composer and engraver
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

To me it all looks fine (and easy to read) in the score, but I suspect others may disagree.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Looks good to me too. But I know what you mean about the syncopated ones (at A). Nothing I know to be done about it, though, since it's just the result of our system of writing tremolos.
Last edited by John Ruggero on 16 Dec 2023, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Shinohara Hoshi

Post by Shinohara Hoshi »

Generally speaking, I still feel it's better to break up tremolos rhythmically; personally, I also prefer to see things like this.
Tremolos.jpeg
Tremolos.jpeg (885.65 KiB) Viewed 61858 times
Moreover, since other parts of your score are also broken up rhythmically, I think a uniform approach would be better. Doing so would allow the notes to align vertically, making them easier to read.
you need not worry about the breaks in the notation failing to represent a coherent performance; the phrase will still be played continuously and naturally in practice.

Additionally, I've noticed that the beams in the PDF you sent are too short, which is NG in engraving. It would be better to modify them to a uniform length for a more comfortable visual experience. However, if music engraving is not a concern, it might still be understandable as is.
NG.jpeg
NG.jpeg (307.27 KiB) Viewed 61907 times
Last edited by Shinohara Hoshi on 16 Dec 2023, 15:43, edited 2 times in total.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

It may be a question of taste. To me, B and C lose some of the feeling of syncopation when the values are split up.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Shinohara Hoshi

Post by Shinohara Hoshi »

If one strictly follows traditional music notation, the use of B and C is generally not practiced. In reality, the performance will sound continuous regardless, especially since a slur is added to indicate the phrasing, which is quite clear. Forcibly breaking the structure prescribed by the time signature could likely cause confusion for the conductor, leading to a loss amidst the beats.

However, I do not deny that this might be readable to some; I am merely offering my opinion. The specific approach you choose is up to you.
hautbois baryton

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I will review this passage when I do the final pagination and cleanup.
Composer and engraver
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

Add my vote for making beat divisions clear.
I tend to avoid the use of too many syncopations.
I particularly dislike B and C in the OP's post.
hautbois baryton

Interesting that the "too short" issue with beams, pointed out by @Shinohara Hoshi above, seems to be built into the Easy Tremolos plug-in itself. When the second note has an accidental on it, the 16th and 32nd beams get excessively shortened.
Composer and engraver