Italic/oblique flat and sharp glyphs?

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Dan Kreider

Italic/oblique flat and sharp glyphs?

Post by Dan Kreider »

I’m starting a large collection of chord charts (lyrics and chord symbols) for a publisher, and we’re trying to establish a style guide that is practical, legible, and typographically beautiful.

For my charts, I’ve always done bold lyrics with italic chord symbols above in Word, but now that it needs to be done properly (flat glyph instead of a lowercase b!), I’m really hung up on the italicized or oblique glyphs for flats and sharps.

I’d like to hear from others about what they think about italicized flats and sharps from a typographical perspective. Valid? Quirky?
dankreider.com
John Ruggero

Re: Italic/oblique flat and sharp glyphs?

Post by John Ruggero »

I vote Quirky. For me, the sharp, flat and natural symbols lose their essential character if not upright. But then I don't like treble clefs that lean forward either...
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
JJP

Post by JJP »

I have no desire to read italicized chord symbols. Once you add extensions they get hard to read.
There is no computer problem so complex that it cannot be solved by a sledge hammer.

Symbols of Sound - music preparation and consulting
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I agree. It would be such as making staff "italic", or stems "italic". I would stick with exact roman for both accidentals AND note-names, the font should differ from the rest of music.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

Thanks all!
dankreider.com