[WORKBENCH] Brahms Op. 119, No. 1

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
John Ruggero

Re: [WORKBENCH] Brahms Op. 119, No. 1

Post by John Ruggero »

I think that your font is a remarkable piece of work, odod, but I will let our font experts comment further if they wish. I do notice that the sharp symbol looks a little compressed for my taste, and the piano brace could be improved, in my opinion, by bringing the "nose" in just a little; and the brace should definitely not touch the left bar lines.

There are still spacing issues in measures 1-3, which occupy too much of line 1, and the stems should be evenly spaced.

There are also minor things that you may intend to take care of later. On the whole, however, I see very good things. When completed it will be a excellent Sibelius contribution and font demonstration for this thread.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
odod

Post by odod »

John Ruggero wrote:I think that your font is a remarkable piece of work, odod, but I will let our font experts comment further if they wish. I do notice that the sharp symbol looks a little compressed for my taste, and the piano brace could be improved, in my opinion, by bringing the "nose" in just a little; and the brace should definitely not touch the left bar lines.

There are still spacing issues in measures 1-3, which occupy too much of line 1, and the stems should be evenly spaced.

There are also minor things that you may intend to take care of later. On the whole, however, I see very good things. When completed it will be a excellent Sibelius contribution and font demonstration for this thread.
thank you sir, will try to improve it
anyway, i notice Henle had different angle for their G Clef on some editons, and sometimes inconsistent with the flag position and shape ... that's why i am trying my best to approach at least not trying to be exact like it is .. since i am not a graphic designer also ;)
and pardon my poor english too
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Henle has used several different clef designs, as has been discussed on this forum; and this seems to be the case for all publishers. I think that you are certainly justified in coming up with designs of your own that are "inspired" by Henle or not as you see fit. In looking at it some more, I am not quite sure about the sharps. Perhaps they are the correct shape given the rest of your font.

Only a handful of posters here have created a whole music font. I am wondering what software you used, since it is something that I might attempt in the (far) future.

Your English certainly gets the point across, odod, which is what counts.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

odod

Post by odod »

John Ruggero wrote:Henle has used several different clef designs, as has been discussed on this forum; and this seems to be the case for all publishers. I think that you are certainly justified in coming up with designs of your own that are "inspired" by Henle or not as you see fit. In looking at it some more, I am not quite sure about the sharps. Perhaps they are the correct shape given the rest of your font.

Only a handful of posters here have created a whole music font. I am wondering what software you used, since it is something that I might attempt in the (far) future.

Your English certainly gets the point across, odod, which is what counts.
thank you for all the guidances sir,
i am using Fontlab (bought it few years ago) and it was a nice app to play with
i used scanning method to get the exact points, but i am having difficulties with the flag, so i decided to made my own just to match Henle's style

here's a are some homemade fonts i did

sorry if it is out of topic (just want to share some of the fonts i did)
Last edited by odod on 02 Jun 2016, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks for sharing, odod. And thank you also for the information. I may get an application like Fontlab if I become really serious about creating a font. I prefer shapes like your no. 16 for G clefs but with the thin parts thinner. I also like the flags and black note heads in no. 16. I am not a great fan of Henle-style G clefs with a great loop at the top, or clefs that fall forward or look "warped" as you have probably gathered if you have read some of the past threads.

Knut

Post by Knut »

odod wrote:
John Ruggero wrote: i used scanning method to get the exact points, but i am having difficulties with the flag, so i decided to made my own just to match Henle's style

Thanks for sharing.
No. 14 looks eerily similar to my own font. May I ask what scans you based that on?
odod

Post by odod »

Knut wrote:
odod wrote:
John Ruggero wrote: i used scanning method to get the exact points, but i am having difficulties with the flag, so i decided to made my own just to match Henle's style

Thanks for sharing.
No. 14 looks eerily similar to my own font. May I ask what scans you based that on?
ahh i am really sorry sir, but i have no ideas that it would look like your fonts :(
I make it based on etude book from Schirmer edition sir (i think it was Czerny) .. but i dont like the clef, and 1/8th flag .. so i changed ..
i did approach on November fonts too, but i tweaked the Flag thickness but i didn't do the other symbols
because not all piano pieces using so many symbol, i mostly do on flags, clefs and rest only
and since Sibelius font mapping is different with Finale i prefer to make it so it fits with Sibelius only ..

this one i found on the net, the one that i scanned almost like this but from a real book
Attachments
clef.jpg
clef.jpg (42.96 KiB) Viewed 9029 times

Knut

Post by Knut »

odod wrote: ahh i am really sorry sir, but i have no ideas that it would look like your fonts :(
No worries.
odod wrote:I make it based on etude book from Schirmer edition sir (i think it was Czerny) .. but i dont like the clef, and 1/8th flag .. so i changed ..
i did approach on November fonts too, but i tweaked the Flag thickness but i didn't do the other symbols
because not all piano pieces using so many symbol, i mostly do on flags, clefs and rest only
and since Sibelius font mapping is different with Finale i prefer to make it so it fits with Sibelius only ..

this one i found on the net, the one that i scanned almost like this but from a real book
Interesting. My g clef is based on that of Durand, and it looks pretty much exactly the same as the one in No. 14. The flags, on the other hand, is my own design, but they nevertheless look like yours down to the very last curve, at least at this low resolution, so I had to ask.
odod

Post by odod »

I just spoke to one of Durand engraver too, she said nothing about My fonts :( only interested with Henle style font ..
Anyway frankly speaking all the flags on old edition somehow incosistent and that's why i had my own reason just to make my own flag .. And really sorry if It was looks like yours sir :( deeply sorry ..
Like this one based on maestro fonts but changed the flag shape
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (54.77 KiB) Viewed 9013 times

OCTO

Post by OCTO »

( Hi guys. Maybe at this point we should split the topic. )

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)