"Library" vs "Performance" editions

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Schonbergian

"Library" vs "Performance" editions

Post by Schonbergian » 19 Mar 2018, 17:26

What is the real difference between these?

Perhaps the difference isn't as clear-cut in choral music, my usual environment--but even the Breitkopf Complete Works edition of the Brahms piano works, ostensibly a "library" edition, is perfectly usable (in my eyes) for performance, save the lack of fingerings. And my "performance" Barenreiter Mozart Piano Sonatas lacks fingering as well.

OCTO

Re: "Library" vs "Performance" editions

Post by OCTO » 19 Mar 2018, 19:45

You don't mean "study score" or "pocket score" to say "taschenpartitur"?
Interesting, I'v never heard about the "library" edition.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 25 • Sibelius 8 • MuseScore 2 • Logic Pro X • Ableton Live 9 • Digital Performer 9 /// OS X El Capitan, (side system: Debian 9, Windows 7)

RMK

Post by RMK » 19 Mar 2018, 23:16

Perhaps the OP meant critical vs. practical performing edition?

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » 20 Mar 2018, 02:40

For some, the lack of fingering in a critical edition would an advantage in using it as a practical edition. But the lack of concern about page turns in some critical editions of the past (Schumann and Mendelssohn) and even present (Chopin National edition) can make them awkward to use.The Breitkopf Brahms is better and the New Mozart edition of the sonatas has superb page turns that make it an excellent practical edition.

Artur Schnabel asked his students to use the Breitkopf critical edition of the Beethoven sonatas for study rather than his own very elaborate personal edition. So turning the whole thing on its head: practical editions are great for reference purposes and critical editions make excellent working copies!
Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2,
Finale 2014d with GPO 4, JW Plug-ins, SmartScore X Pro, Adobe InDesign CS4,
Inkscape .48.5 and .91, FontForge 20150526
http://www.cantilenapress.com