Search found 1084 matches
- 26 Sep 2026, 17:02
- Forum: Digital Notation Tools
- Topic: Dorico…to be or not.
- Replies: 32
- Views: 2747
Re: Dorico…to be or not.
How about quick copy/paste between different instruments, moving phrases around (left/right, as with Sibelius CMD+ALT+arrow), quickly copying and pasting specific elements from one instrument to another (slurs, hairpins, etc.), filtering specific elements within a selected measure, etc.?
You ...
- 26 Sep 2026, 08:18
- Forum: Problems and Solutions (Help)
- Topic: Vocalise and Vocable use and notation
- Replies: 14
- Views: 1944
Re: Vocalise and Vocable use and notation
I would just put an "Mm" syllable on the C natural in bar 17 of David's example.
- 25 Sep 2026, 21:32
- Forum: Digital Notation Tools
- Topic: Dorico…to be or not.
- Replies: 32
- Views: 2747
Re: Dorico…to be or not.
Plethora.
To start with - who is in the most stable position in the long run? Not I who went for Finale. Those who mastered open source stuff (Lilypond, MusiXTeX, Frescobaldi etc.). Nothing has changed for them, and won't change, unless they decide so. No unwanted "transition", conversion, re ...
- 22 Sep 2026, 07:48
- Forum: Digital Notation Tools
- Topic: Dorico…to be or not.
- Replies: 32
- Views: 2747
Re: Dorico…to be or not.
For me, Dorico is far and away more useful than Finale ever was. I can literally produce an attractive, well-engraved score with barely a single manual adjustment. I set up the document's Layout, Notation and Engraving Options as I want them (often using my already-saved defaults), and then enter ...
- 22 Sep 2026, 07:33
- Forum: Digital Notation Tools
- Topic: GPT-6's new edition of Weber
- Replies: 20
- Views: 2584
Re: GPT-6's new edition of Weber
The work was completed over two days, during which Astra worked almost continuously,
Two day of continuous AI processing? I wonder how much energy that used. :(
recreating the score in LilyPond.
Lilypond really needs a good utility to convert to XML, so that the data can be used in other ...
- 10 Sep 2026, 11:40
- Forum: Digital Notation Tools
- Topic: Lilypond users?
- Replies: 10
- Views: 1773
Re: Lilypond users?
So, I spent some time, and eventually found a page where you can download arm64 mac binaries. Then I spent some time trying to find out where I should put them, and adding the location to my $PATH, setting file attributes, etc., etc.
Then I discovered that Frescobaldi would actually download ...
Then I discovered that Frescobaldi would actually download ...
- 10 Sep 2026, 09:14
- Forum: Digital Notation Tools
- Topic: Lilypond users?
- Replies: 10
- Views: 1773
Re: Lilypond users?
I've been curious to try it, but there doesn't seem to be an up-to-date, currently supported, standalone build for macOS available on the website .
The alternative is to use MacPorts or HomeBrew, which I'd rather not.
And frankly, music notation is a visual medium, so I find the GUI approach much ...
The alternative is to use MacPorts or HomeBrew, which I'd rather not.
And frankly, music notation is a visual medium, so I find the GUI approach much ...
- 29 Aug 2026, 21:37
- Forum: Books and Sites
- Topic: Music Engraving Today by Steven Powell
- Replies: 9
- Views: 3154
Re: Music Engraving Today by Steven Powell
By that point I already had Ross, Read, Stone, and the Ken Williams book. An employer had given me a photocopy of the Schirmer style guide. I maybe had Roemer by then too.
Ross is far from comprehensive. There's very little about vertical spacing and page layout. Style guides often don't ...
- 29 Aug 2026, 21:32
- Forum: Books and Sites
- Topic: Music Engraving Today by Steven Powell
- Replies: 9
- Views: 3154
Re: Music Engraving Today by Steven Powell
Is this a copy-pasted review from somewhere else? Probably better just to post a link, and provide context; otherwise it comes across like a random AI response.
- 28 Aug 2026, 18:00
- Forum: Books and Sites
- Topic: Music Engraving Today by Steven Powell
- Replies: 9
- Views: 3154
Music Engraving Today by Steven Powell
I bought Music Engraving Today by Steven Powell just after it was released in 2002, when I was just getting started; and I just rediscovered it on my shelf, so I thought I would mention it here.
It was the first book that showed me "This is what you should be aiming for". As well as some info on ...
It was the first book that showed me "This is what you should be aiming for". As well as some info on ...