The software I used to copy music (1993-2003)

Recommendations, opinions, and reviews of books and sites.
OCTO

The software I used to copy music (1993-2003)

Post by OCTO »

Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
OCTO

Re: The software I used to copy music (1993-2003)

Post by OCTO »

(Shared link via TapaTalk, therefore that title.)
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks, OCTO. I am sorry that he had to resort to all of that, but he was certainly resourceful. There is other interesting material at his website concerning his relationship with Stockhausen and that whole period. He also seems to have developed his own system of spatial notation as explained in the following article:

http://james-ingram-act-two.de/writings ... fTime.html

He has some good points to make in this article, but I wish he had expressed himself more clearly and like a musician rather than an engineer. I recently came across the following article that all musical article writers should take to heart: http://stevenpinker.com/why-academics-stink-writing

I was immediately put off by his statement that triplets first appeared in the middle of the 18th century and more complex tuplets in the the 19th! Later he contends that "the subdivision of a single time segment is…impossible etc." What?

One of the outstanding features of Notat.io has been been the writing. In spite of the language barriers, the writing has been simple, clear, cogent, and completely lacking in BS.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote:I am sorry that he had to resort to all of that, but he was certainly resourceful.
I think it is very interesting to see how much effort one can put in the final score, not only using presets, defaults of the current notation software. One of the Notatio members, Wess, is one of that persons who uses Finale perhaps very partially and many other things he tweaks in other software.
However, at that time the person of the topic used a very old version of Finale v3. Today, I guess his approach is different.
Some things didn't change: for instance, Finale cannot handle well slurs, so it would be important to create new tools for super-Smart Shapes.
But definitely, the common tools of an engraver today is a notation software, font tool, a vector editor and a desktop publishing software.
John Ruggero wrote:but I wish he had expressed himself more clearly and like a musician rather than an engineer. I recently came across the following article that all musical article writers should take to heart:
Oh, I remember a symposium the last summer. A women read her presentation: I understood nothing. Later on, when she was answering to the questions, she started to speak normally.
John Ruggero wrote:the writing has been simple, clear, cogent, and completely lacking in BS.
;)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

OCTO. wrote:
Oh, I remember a symposium the last summer. A women read her presentation: I understood nothing. Later on, when she was answering to the questions, she started to speak normally.
That is an amusing and revealing story. Clarity of expression = clarity of thought. If you can't explain something simply and clearly, you don't really understand it yourself.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com