References on harmonic analysis.

Recommendations, opinions, and reviews of books and sites.
MalteM

Re: References on harmonic analysis.

Post by MalteM »

Hi Knut, Abraham, OCTO,

I’m new to this forum but at least one of you might know me from the LilyPond lists. In the last few days I modified an existing font (Source Sans Pro) with the goal of being able to print function symbols both in LaTeX and LilyPond. This post on a german-speaking typography forum shows most of the current abilities of the font. It makes heavy use of ligature and contextual substitution and some glyph positioning (both contextual and not); there are only few ligature glyphs for now.

Is this similar to what you’re looking for?

Cheers,
Malte
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

MalteM wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 18:42 Is this similar to what you’re looking for?
That is absolutely wonderful!
I am sad it was not available at the time I did my teaching papers for the university...

-- Can it be used, and how, in other-than-LP notation software?
There would be eventually a good idea to implement this onto a PDF based material –– a tool that inputs the analysis in existing scores; or a plugin for Sibelius Finale Dorico LP.
Is that possible?

I believe that your "HarmoTeX" would be of the outmost interest for music publishers, particularly these who work with the music theory related material.

P.S. Malte, feel free to start a new thread about your font-system design, perhaps in the font category. It would be great to follow up!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MalteM

Post by MalteM »

OCTO wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 09:07 -- Can it be used, and how, in other-than-LP notation software?
There would be eventually a good idea to implement this onto a PDF based material –– a tool that inputs the analysis in existing scores; or a plugin for Sibelius Finale Dorico LP.
Is that possible?
It’s an ordinary OpenType font so it has nothing to do with special software like LilyPond or LaTeX. Every program supporting OpenType features can use the font. As far as I know this applys to most office and desktop publishing software now. And I’d be surprised if the big commercial notation software wouldn’t support OpenType features. But indeed at least Finale doesn’t yet (but it’s planned according to this feature request).
P.S. Malte, feel free to start a new thread about your font-system design, perhaps in the font category. It would be great to follow up!
I’ll do when I’ve some time; for now I’m just happy that it satisfies the needs of my thesis I have to hand in in a few weeks. Apart from that it’s in some parts a hacky solution but I’ll consider making it public so that other people who know better can help me making it more stable ;)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

MalteM wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 09:51 It’s an ordinary OpenType font
Hm, I am confused now. I believed it is a latex system for just music analysis, not just a font. If you could make a word-type of document that includes some of the examples would be nice to inspect.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MalteM

Post by MalteM »

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear enough in my first post. I only mentioned LaTeX and LilyPond because that are the two programs for which I wanted to have a common solution. Because there is no possibility (or none I know of) to include LaTeX output in LilyPond or text-only LilyPond output in LaTeX (for music output there are lilypond-book and lyluatex), I had to come up with a different idea and the only thing that is supported by both are OpenType fonts. And I think that’s probably the best possible solution because it works in other software as well (as far as that software supports OpenType features).