Proofreading suggestions

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Fred G. Unn

Re: Proofreading suggestions

Post by Fred G. Unn »

Yeah, I have a few Dorico-specific proofing steps too including a couple of bar number issues.

1) There's a bug where the saved default Layout Options don't always apply correctly. For a lot of people this affects page size but for me it often unchecks "Show bar numbers at rehearsal marks" so I always proof that. (Daniel has said this is fixed in 4.0)

2) Another bar number issue can potentially crop up because barlines/meter/bar numbers are all interrelated in Dorico. If I've manually positioned any bar numbers to avoid a collision, adding an explicit barline or changing the barline type anywhere in the project before that will wipe out all manual bar number adjustments up to the next explicit barline. I had a composer decide to remove a double barline in a piano piece late in the revision process and I didn't realize that would wipe out my manual bar number positioning several pages later until I had sent it back to him, ugh! (At least it was caught before going to print.)

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks so much for the Schirmer system, "Fred". I am embarrassed to say that I suddenly discovered that I had posted on this very topic previously and will again look over the excellent suggestions that were offered back then as well the current ones.

In honor of proofreaders everywhere, I dedicate the following missing ledger lines in m. 268 from the Peters urtext edition of Ravel's Scarbo:
Scarbo Peters.jpeg
Scarbo Peters.jpeg (130.35 KiB) Viewed 254 times
Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2,
Finale 2014d with GPO 4, JW Plug-ins, SmartScore X Pro, Adobe InDesign CS4,
Inkscape .48.5 and .91, FontForge 20150526
http://www.cantilenapress.com

OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 14:31
I notice that you didn't mention having the software play it through to catch wrong notes. Any reason?
Yes, I do playback, but only when I do arrangements, and it is not so often.
My music consists of a large number of trills, glissandos, harmonics, graphic symbols, approximate pitches, etc., alone or in combination. Using playback for that makes no sense (often you can't get the actual pitches), therefore I never use the playback for my music. So, all my proofreading is "visual" by default. Using separate colors in Finale has definitely made the proofreading process faster.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 25.5 • Sibelius 2020 • MuseScore 2+3 • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 10+ • Digital Performer 9+ /// MacOS Mojave, (side systems: Fedora 32, Windows 10)

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks, OCTO. I've found that playback can be deceptive, but is good to catch the most blatant note errors.

On a completely different subject, I just noticed the editorial 16th-rests in the Scarbo example above. This is so typical of editors who are like accountants and think that a piano score is like an orchestral score where every voice has to be complete rhythmically.
Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2,
Finale 2014d with GPO 4, JW Plug-ins, SmartScore X Pro, Adobe InDesign CS4,
Inkscape .48.5 and .91, FontForge 20150526
http://www.cantilenapress.com

Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

John Ruggero wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 12:38
On a completely different subject, I just noticed the editorial 16th-rests in the Scarbo example above. This is so typical of editors who are like accountants and think that a piano score is like an orchestral score where every voice has to be complete rhythmically.
Quite. Very important that the maths add up - never mind the notes!
Finale 26 on Windows 10