Composers vs Engravers: Stems and Slurs part 3

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
John Ruggero

Composers vs Engravers: Stems and Slurs part 3

Post by John Ruggero »

As I continue to edit the Chopin Etudes, more interesting examples occur which I will share as time allows. Here is a spot from the Etude op. 10 no 6. Chopin suddenly changes stem direction to show that 16th-notes 7-12 in measure 2 pick up from the previous bass note E :f as a bass voice imitating tenor voice 16th-notes 1-6 rather than merely continuing them. They then lead to the bass note in the next measure, which is also notated with a down stem.
Chopin Etude op 10 no 6 stems MS.jpeg
Chopin Etude op 10 no 6 stems MS.jpeg (46.63 KiB) Viewed 4128 times
This beautiful notation appears in none of the first editions or any successive edition known to me. The editors all "correct' it according to standard engraving practice. Here is the French first edition:
Chopin Etude op 10 no 6 stems 1st Fr.jpeg
Chopin Etude op 10 no 6 stems 1st Fr.jpeg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 4128 times
Obviously it would have been easier in terms of handwriting to continue the up stems.

Seeing this notation in the autograph has completely changed the way I play this measure.
Last edited by John Ruggero on 07 Dec 2016, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Re: Composers vs Engravers: Stems and Slurs part 3

Post by OCTO »

It must be a very good reason to have these notes step-down. As a "handwriting" composer I would never do that without a strong purpose, since it is harder to notated it stem-down than just continue as it is. I would definitely use the manuscript version as the True one.
A question arises, if Chopin has been influencing the engraving process for the first edition and if it was his "amen" or not(?).
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Re: Composers vs Engravers: Stems and Slurs part 3

Post by John Ruggero »

I agree, OCTO. No composer would do this without a good reason, and for that reason passages of this kind will be engraved as they stand in my edition.

Chopin added new material, like additional fingering and markings in the proof copies of the French first editions and these appeared according to his direction. But he was not able to not change things where the engravers were adhering to a house style, perhaps because of the considerable expense in doing so.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com