Key signature and staff size

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
John Ruggero

Re: Key signature and staff size

Post by John Ruggero »

And it's also too bad that I can't actually use your new information in my publications! Needless to say, I won't bother to post this as a feature request at MakeMusic. :( Someone might do that at Dorico, however.

So we are basically in the same range, and it now comes down to a matter of taste. For me, your 1.9 space is at the very limit and I would probably go with something a little smaller despite the larger white space after it.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Den

Post by Den »

Schneider wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 07:56 Hi Malte, hi John,
I'd be surprised if Dorico and Finale -- or even Score and Graphire -- would do differently... ;)
Graphire Music Press
Graphire Music Press
GMP-keysmallbig.png (55.81 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Aha! Den, could you post what Graphire does with C# major and two treble clefs?
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Den

Post by Den »

John Ruggero wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 22:27 Aha! Den, could you post what Graphire does with C# major and two treble clefs?
Why not John ;=)
Click on images

Normal/Standard
C#1major-example1.png
2. example
C#1major-example2.png
3. example
C#1major-example3.png
4. example
C#1major-example4.png
5. example
C#1major-example5.png
Last edited by Den on 25 Aug 2020, 01:36, edited 4 times in total.
Schneider

Post by Schneider »

Schneider wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 07:56[...] I'd be surprised if Dorico and Finale -- or even Score and Graphire -- would do differently... ;)
I meant if they'd do differently by default... ;)
However, thank you Den for showing us that Graphire is -- was? -- a very, very powerful and fine tool.
Den

Post by Den »

Schneider wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 06:23
Schneider wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 07:56[...] I'd be surprised if Dorico and Finale -- or even Score and Graphire -- would do differently... ;)
I meant if they'd do differently by default... ;)
However, thank you Den for showing us that Graphire is -- was? -- a very, very powerful and fine tool.
Hi Schneider,

In Graphire Music Press, "Deafult" is in mind, ie. the way you imagine you could do notes by hand. The program does not have the classic "Default" as in other notation programs, but works more like a "hand-made score engraver" which has developed simple logical principles, very direct command and it is very specific program. I can dare to say that it is unique in this way entering notes and yes it is fine tool.
odod

Post by odod »

man, graphire is so beautiful .. i remember the sample files are showing some nice graphical score, is it possible to do it inside the software or you need 3rd party such as illustrator etc ?
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
Den

Post by Den »

odod wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 04:56 man, graphire is so beautiful .. i remember the sample files are showing some nice graphical score, is it possible to do it inside the software or you need 3rd party such as illustrator etc ?
If you have a lot of subsequent changes in the bars, forget about it! So, when you're done and you have all the notes checked, with the exact layout of the line systems on the manuscript or printed copy, then you just go to the final entry with Graphire Music Press. The final result is really good. Yes, changes can be made, but the concept of the work of input in Music Press is totally different and you have to pay attention to many things and have some preliminary plan. The program is not intended for every musician, but is strictly intended for the final job - "manual engraving".

odod, which "graphical score"?
If you mean in cue split examples from site, it is done directly in the program with a few tricks and without Illustrator etc.. I think that it can be done in Igor also, as well as in other programs, maybe a little harder and again it's not the same. The font itself was developed with many professional engravers and it took about 8 years and which is unique only for this program.
Schneider

Post by Schneider »

odod wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 04:56[...] I think that it can be done in Igor also, as well as in other programs, [...]
Yep!
(See: viewtopic.php?p=482#p482)
Last edited by Schneider on 04 Sep 2020, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
odod

Post by odod »

Schneider wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 11:49
odod wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 04:56[...] I think that it can be done in Igor also, as well as in other programs, [...]
Yep!
(See: viewtopic.php?p=482#p482)
Den wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 11:00

gosh, it is BEAUTIFUL! .. is it possible to do this in Sibelius ? i think Finale can do this .. but sibelius might have to put some graphic imported
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service