Piano pedal retakes

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
benwiggy

Piano pedal retakes

Post by benwiggy »

Out of my depth somewhat with mid-20th century English song. Is there an essential difference between representing Pedal marks in these two ways?

The ms has Ped__________| for every bar.

Using retakes is tidier.
Attachments
Screenshot 9.png
Screenshot 9.png (17.8 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
Screenshot 8.png
Screenshot 8.png (24.17 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
Anders Hedelin

Re: Piano pedal retakes

Post by Anders Hedelin »

I don't think there is any essential difference in the meaning of the two notations you show. The first one is of course more exact than the traditional :ped and asterisk, and the second one even more so, and, as you say, tidier and less cluttering.

Combining the old and Baroque-looking :ped and the more technical and modern retake lines can create something of a stylistic clash however, which may be the reason why most contemporary composers today use a more neutral font for the Ped., like this:
Ped.PNG
Ped.PNG (17.75 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
For mid-twentieth-century music I think the two options :ped and asterisk, and your second example - or mine - would be possible. (Bartók fx used both traditional pedal marks and modern pedal lines - then without the word Ped.)
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10
John Ruggero

Re: Piano pedal retakes

Post by John Ruggero »

A simpler and to me better way to show overlapping pedal with Ped. indications is to leave out the brackets completely and place a Ped. where you want each quick change (without using an asterisk or anything else to show a release). Every pianist will know what this means.

Anders and I agree about the stylistic clash, but come to different conclusions. I prefer the all-bracket system where the intricacy of the pedaling makes it preferable to the Ped. * system. On the face of it, this example isn't such a case.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com