Slur placement/shape

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
David Ward

Re: Slur placement/shape

Post by David Ward »

Anders, that's a vast improvement on mine. Thank you.

Now to attempt to apply that same principle to all the many similar or related passages… It's a rather daunting prospect for this old man, but I shall do my best.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

You are very welcome. Glad to be of help.
I have nothing much to do this summer (my clients are already on holiday apparently), so if you would need some more assistance, just ask.
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

Anders Hedelin wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 11:23… …  so if you would need some more assistance, just ask.
Thank you very much.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

You are welcome.
I was wondering about an English word for the pianist accompanying the singers in an opera rehearsal - could it be 'repetitor', 'corepetitor' or what? I couldn't find it in my dictionaries.
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

We use the French word: repetiteur. (In the UK anyway, I'm not certain about the US, but I think they do the same.)
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

David Ward wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 09:24 Is it acceptable for the first slur in the piano (this is a vocal score) to be like this, crossing the hairpin, wide sweeping untamed shape etc etc?

To me, in purely aesthetic terms, it looks OK, but I suspect it is breaking several rules of engraving.
I would simply copy the dynamics from the instruments above since musically looks perfectly clear. Remember that the musicians will play 50% by eye and 50% by situation, following each other.

This way it is unnecessary complex, for a simple effect.
The rule: notate as simple as possible that gives the same acoustical result as wanted.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

I think the issue here is transferring an orchestral score into a piano reduction. In the score/parts it's quite logical to have the detailed dynamics in the different woodwind instruments, "knowing nothing about each other", or not exactly. In the piano reduction they are not necessary.