Double-dotted half note in 7/8

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
NeeraWM

Re: Double-dotted half note in 7/8

Post by NeeraWM »

Anders Hedelin wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 12:35 While the double-dotted note may be useful for the reason mentioned by John, it only works for 7/x measures, not for 5/x ones. The following is an attempt to fill out that gap in traditional rhythmic notation:
x-dots.JPG
"x-ing" a note adds a quarter of its value, x being half a dot. (We might be grateful to the inventor of this notation that he/she didn't decide on literally half dots).
I find this brilliant!
Who is the inventor of this x-dot and where is it documented?
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

I'll come back to you when I've checked this out. Glad that you liked it.
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

Anders Hedelin wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 12:35 While the double-dotted note may be useful for the reason mentioned by John, it only works for 7/x measures, not for 5/x ones. The following is an attempt to fill out that gap in traditional rhythmic notation:
"x-ing" a note adds a quarter of its value, x being half a dot. (We might be grateful to the inventor of this notation that he/she didn't decide on literally half dots).
There have been other proposals for x-dots and +-dots too. Here's Read's "Music Notation" pg 123.
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

Interesting. What I miss is not so much adding a third of the value, but an eighth of it, making it possible to have one note with the duration of 9/16, 9/8 etc.
I wouldn't like to propose a new sign though - I'll let others find or invent that.
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

Personally I prefer the x to the + because it can straddle a staff line without becoming illegible (the + can't).
Callasmaniac

Post by Callasmaniac »

NeeraWM wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 21:58
x-dots.JPG
I find this brilliant!
Who is the inventor of this x-dot and where is it documented?
Here is a lengthy explanation; but in *Finnish* (use Google translate): https://medium.com/@nuottin0rtti?p=febe3f987a30 . (X:n tarina) In short, Paavo Heininen used this x-marking already in 50s (learned it in Darmstadt). Later, his pupils in SibAcademy began to use it, too (Einojuhani Rautavaara, Kalevi Aho, Magnus Lindberg et al.).
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

Thanks a lot, Callasmaniac, for the extensive info! I didn't know about the Darmstadt connection, but that certainly gives some weight to it.

I'm waiting for a possible comment from Norway, where I saw the x-dot for the first time. Maybe that will add something to the picture.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Callasmaniac wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 10:02 Here is a lengthy explanation; but in *Finnish* (use Google translate): https://medium.com/@nuottin0rtti?p=febe3f987a30 . (X:n tarina) In short, Paavo Heininen used this x-marking already in 50s (learned it in Darmstadt). Later, his pupils in SibAcademy began to use it, too (Einojuhani Rautavaara, Kalevi Aho, Magnus Lindberg et al.).
Right, I have seen 5/4 in Rautavaara's music.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)