Brackets for individual staves

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
benwiggy

Brackets for individual staves

Post by benwiggy »

I have lots of works with one trumpet, one oboe, plus strings. How, if at all, would you bracket the top two instruments? Together? Individual brackets? Or as is?
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (29.42 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
Anders Hedelin

Re: Brackets for individual staves

Post by Anders Hedelin »

The winds having no brackets looks fine to me. One of them is brass, the other woodwind, so they don't really belong together. Is there a reason for putting the brass instrument on top of the woodwind one? The other way round would seem more traditional.
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

That's how it always scored in the manuscripts.
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

Recent manuscripts, or old, which may have a bearing on the score order being more or less standardised? (Difficult to tell from your excerpt,) Solo winds in a concerto? (Which may account for putting the more prominent one on top of the other.)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

It may be Baroque. Bach and Handel also placed the brass at the top in their MS. I just checked a few at IMSLP.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Yes, it's a fairly common baroque ordering. Perhaps because the oboes often doubled the strings.

You wouldn't give each staff an individual bracket? They just look a bit bare!
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Looks OK to me without the bracket, but I see that the New Bach Edition brackets the various solo instruments together in the Brandenburg Concerto no. 2 for example.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

It looks good without brackets to me as well. The grouping is today standardised by the instrumental groups, saying "in general".
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

To sum this up: If you are working for a scholarly edition, take care that you come as close as possible or practicable to the practice of the time when the music was written. If not, use your own common sense.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Anders Hedelin wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 20:51 use your own common sense.
That's like when your mum tells you to 'just be yourself'. :lol: