Enhanced tacet

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Christof Schardt

Enhanced tacet

Post by Christof Schardt »

A Graupner Cantata is being prepared to be debut-performed by the Thomaner-Chor, Leipzig.
The editor and engraver - himself a conductor - wants to provide parts, which help the player to follow the music easily.
So when a voice has a tacet-piece, instead of the usual "tacet" text he provides the start and end stuff of the recitativ and writes a multi bar rest in between. For example:
11-01-_2022_16-17-14.png
11-01-_2022_16-17-14.png (33.83 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
In a pragmatical sense this is ok because the musicians will understand it. But on the other hand it is wrong, because the notated voice has stuff and does not pause.

Have others dealt which such stuff and come to better solutions? Interrupted stafflines? Ellipsis? Wavelines? Some sort of substitution symbol?
Software Developer, Musician and Engraving Aficionado
PriMus 1.1
benwiggy

Re: Enhanced tacet

Post by benwiggy »

Given that it is on a reduced size staff, it's essentially a kind of Cue. It's a nice idea.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Not sure I understand. So instead of writing "No 4. Recitative Tacet" in say the first violin part, he puts in this cue line entitled "No 4. Recitative etc." instead? I

If so, I see nothing wrong with it. In fact I agree with the engraver that it is better for the players than simply writing a tacet for that section. And I see no reason for the small size staff.

But I may misunderstand the situation.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Christof Schardt

Post by Christof Schardt »

You understand it perfectly. It is kind of cue, that was the reason for a small staff.
The alternatives that I consider are those:

Trillsymbol
b1.png
b1.png (17.15 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
Dots
b2.png
b2.png (16.45 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
Waveline
b3.png
b3.png (16.87 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
and the same again but with interrupted staff lines:
b4.png
b4.png (16.38 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
b5.png
b5.png (16.83 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
b6.png
b6.png (16.61 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
Software Developer, Musician and Engraving Aficionado
PriMus 1.1
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

I'd prefer the traditional multi-bar rest.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks, Christof. What I guess didn't understand was your question about the multi-measure rest. I would agree with a Ben that a standard rest would be best if there are actually 7 measures of rest in a counted 4/4. A small size staff is not normally used for cues that appear within a movement. Small notes on a standard size staff would be my choice here as well.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

Yes, a multi-bar rest. Anything else would feel like a gimmick!
dankreider.com
JJP

Post by JJP »

As somebody who primarily works in recording situations where time is money, I am wary putting anything in front of musicians that doesn't clearly match what they are accustomed to seeing unless it's very clear what is intended. Changing the format of the rests or these "enhanced tacets" seems like too much of an opportunity for a hand to go up with a question.

If I were to use this enhanced tacet in a studio situation, I would mark it "(6). Recitativo (tacet)" and use a standard-size staff with cue-size notes and a standard multi-measure rest symbol under the "7". In some situations where cues may not be immediately clear, we have even added a note like "Do not play -- for reference only." We tend to favor clarity over any formality. ;)
There is no computer problem so complex that it cannot be solved by a sledge hammer.

Symbols of Sound - music preparation and consulting
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

JJP wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 18:00 As somebody who primarily works in recording situations where time is money, I am wary putting anything in front of musicians that doesn't clearly match what they are accustomed to seeing unless it's very clear what is intended. Changing the format of the rests or these "enhanced tacets" seems like too much of an opportunity for a hand to go up with a question.
That sums up Arnold Arnstein's advice very well. Every clever new notation is an invitation for questions, diminishing the time available for actual playing or increasing the cost of a session.

OCTO

Post by OCTO »

The fact is that the Violin has the rest and that should be done in the full sized staff. Why not to put only the last measures as the reference? The tenor should be in the Voice 2, cued, with the Violin full rest above.

Just my visualization.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)