The longest slur - ever.

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
OCTO

The longest slur - ever.

Post by OCTO »

Could't be just written "legato"?
I guess, doing this in notation software requires multiple slurs.
"Opus Clavicembalisticum IX" By Sorabji.
Attachments
slur1.png
slur1.png (160.77 KiB) Viewed 10976 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
tisimst

Re: The longest slur - ever.

Post by tisimst »

Actually, I think this is possible in Dorico. You can also do it in LilyPond, not with any default setting, but a little coding of a custom function allows it. I’ve seen it done.

But your point is well taken. “Legato” should capture what this messy slur suggests.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
MalteM

Post by MalteM »

I think „legato“ wouldn’t cover the voice crossing … I’m not even sure whether the main purpose of that slurs is the legato marking ;)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

MalteM wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 08:00 I think „legato“ wouldn’t cover the voice crossing … I’m not even sure whether the main purpose of that slurs is the legato marking ;)
Hah!
Maybe than as a tempo: Legatissimo con delicatezza
Or even better as name of the piece.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Callasmaniac

Post by Callasmaniac »

Or "il arpeggio legato possibile".
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

At a first glance it looks like the slur is meant mainly for the sixteenth sixtuplets (and triplet), but then it isn't quite consistent. During the first two quarters it wouldn't have had to be placed above the notes at all, and just at the end it should have gone below the notes if following the pattern. Intriguing.
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

The slur seems to be entirely for the accompanying sextuplets, since the melody has its own slur. Many a nineteeth century composer would have slurred the first few beats and then stopped at an unexpected point to indicate simile since the rest of the slur is obvious. The ideal then was clarity and simplicity.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

My guess is that the composer intended to draw a 'hypnotic slur'. The character given for the music: 'nostalgic, very smooth and hypnotic'. Maybe there are no real rules for 'hypnotic slurs'. (I haven't found any with Gould.)
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

It definitely hypnotizes me if I stare at it too long!
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Den

Post by Den »

John Ruggero wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 17:28 It definitely hypnotizes me if I stare at it too long!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I confirm this!
That is "S" slur...