Suggestions for my score.

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
dario.parisi

Suggestions for my score.

Post by dario.parisi »

Hi everybody!
I'm new to this forum, however i know it about some time. I engraved this choir piece with Lilypond, i love lilypond's style inspired from Bärenreiter and other 1950's editors. Look at it and let me know what you think.
Attachments
To-the-Moon(SATB).pdf
(227.45 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
Schonbergian

Re: Suggestions for my score.

Post by Schonbergian »

Redundant lyric extenders at i.e. alto m. 7-8, where the word is already long enough to cover the melisma.

Measures 33-36 need more even spacing so they're not driven apart by the words.
MalteM

Post by MalteM »

Did you add many layout tweaks? (f. e. increase the minimum word space)
IMO the horizontal spacing looks unusually bad; some examples: m. 7, 9, 16, 17, 34, 35, 36. I know that LilyPond doesn’t handle vocal note spacing really well in crowded situations because the lyrics aren’t flexible at all but here in most situations there’s no need for shifted notes …

Edit: Could you try whether LilyPond 2.19.83 gives better results?
dario.parisi

Post by dario.parisi »

MalteM wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 10:01 Did you add many layout tweaks? (f. e. increase the minimum word space)
IMO the horizontal spacing looks unusually bad; some examples: m. 7, 9, 16, 17, 34, 35, 36. I know that LilyPond doesn’t handle vocal note spacing really well in crowded situations because the lyrics aren’t flexible at all but here in most situations there’s no need for shifted notes …

Edit: Could you try whether LilyPond 2.19.83 gives better results?
Yeah, you've right. I need to try with the latest beta version, maybe it get better result. About increase word space yes i added some code in the layout block, but Lilypond shifted some notes without explanation. I'll search for a solution about horizontal spacing. I don't know very well Lilypond, i'm not a power user.