If Dorico had Dorico...

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
benwiggy

Re: If Dorico had Dorico...

Post by benwiggy »

No, the octave flats in the key signature isn't a mistake: it was common practice in the day; but if I were preparing a modern edition in modern notation (and not this!), then I wouldn't have two B flats in the key signature on every staff and system. I'd display it in the incipit, though.

BTW, the hyphens in your example are a bit mad. They're quite high up on the body, and variable in length. Is Lilypond drawing them? You seem to have to specify two hyphens in the code just for one gap, and an underscore for each missed-out syllable...? :eek:
Schneider

Post by Schneider »

benwiggy wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 08:05[...] BTW, the hyphens in your example are a bit mad. They're quite high up on the body, and variable in length. Is Lilypond drawing them? [...]
Yes it's LilyPond. Is this an issue?
(In any case, it could be customized.)
benwiggy wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 08:05[...] You seem to have to specify two hyphens in the code just for one gap, and an underscore for each missed-out syllable...? :eek:
Yep:

hyphen.jpg
hyphen.jpg (35.97 KiB) Viewed 5392 times

A simple "-" would be considered as a syllable:

hyphen_bis.jpg
hyphen_bis.jpg (18.44 KiB) Viewed 5391 times
Last edited by Schneider on 17 Jul 2020, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

MalteM wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 15:28 If Dorico or Petrucci had Dorico, wouldn’t they use a smaller paper or larger font size?
This. Agree.
Schneider wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 11:57 Here's the LP output (with settings to stick to the facsimile, not perfect but actually my very first attempt with ancient notation):
Absolutely fantastic, well, LilyPond is truly exciting software in exciting hands!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MalteM

Post by MalteM »

benwiggy wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 08:05 You seem to have to specify two hyphens in the code just for one gap, and an underscore for each missed-out syllable...? :eek:
Yes. But: Frescobaldi has a nice tool to automatically insert hyphens using hyphenation dictionary. It works pretty well for me, both for German and English language (and Latin using the German dictionary). The only extra hyphens that I have to add is where in written text there would be none (i. e. if you would have a single letter syllable as in A-bend, O-si-an-na, A-men).
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

MalteM wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 15:28 If Dorico or Petrucci had Dorico, wouldn’t they use a smaller paper or larger font size?
The original page size is c. 17 x 23 cm, so not much different from B5. But there are music books of that era that were larger than A4.

Subtitle: "If Dorico had A4." :roll:
Florian

Post by Florian »

Schneider wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 08:37 benwiggy wrote: ↑
[...] BTW, the hyphens in your example are a bit mad. They're quite high up on the body, and variable in length. Is Lilypond drawing them? [...]

Yes it's LilyPond. Is this an issue?
(In any case, it could be customized.)
Those hyphens aren't mad, quite the contrary! Yes, they're a bit high and the long ones might be a tad too long, but in my opinion the fact that Lilypond is able to shorten hyphens dynamically to minimize rhythmic distortion is just another testimonial of excellence.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

They're a bit too variable for me. I'm not wild about the spacing of successive hyphens, either. But I'm sure it can all be defined.