Punctuation and horizontal spacing

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
amirt

Punctuation and horizontal spacing

Post by amirt »

Hello dear forum members,

I am working on a new music notation software. Now after months of work, it have produced it's first output, which is admittedly very trivial but important for me!
I was wondering if any one of you would comment on this page which consists of 11 separate lines. What I am mostly interested in, is the horizontal spacing of a single line. Lines 3 onward are basically the same line squeezed in different horizontal spaces. I would be very glad to hear your comments on this, but also your overall feeling about the look and appearance of the generated notes.

I have uploaded the page on Github:
https://github.com/ertpoi/smt/blob/dev/ ... uation.pdf

Best regards,
Amir Teymuri
OCTO

Re: Punctuation and horizontal spacing

Post by OCTO »

For me the spacing seems good, it is, what I could get with the screen measuring tool, about 1.44, or perhaps it is truly the square root of 2 ratio including my error.

I would suggest using several books on music engraving: the stems are too long, they should, for the single notes placed in the staff or on maximum one ledger line, have the length of 3½ spaces.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Congratulations on the achievement! I'm sure I don't need to tell you how hard it is to get even this far.

I don't particularly like the noteheads though: they look a little too big over the staff lines, and yet the black notes seem not wide enough. The white noteheads have possibly too thick a stroke, with not enough contrast. Are you generating primitives, or using a font?

Are you planning to sell it, or just release it as an open source project?
amirt

Post by amirt »

benwiggy wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 19:11 Congratulations on the achievement! I'm sure I don't need to tell you how hard it is to get even this far.

I don't particularly like the noteheads though: they look a little too big over the staff lines, and yet the black notes seem not wide enough. The white noteheads have possibly too thick a stroke, with not enough contrast. Are you generating primitives, or using a font?

Are you planning to sell it, or just release it as an open source project?

I am using some open fonts of Lilypond. I haven't been particularly concerned with the fonts so far. At the moment I am more focused on more important aspects like developing spacing algorithms (to simulate nice old hand-engraved scores) etc.
This is going to be an open-source free software (when the first version is released :) )
amirt

Post by amirt »

OCTO wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 10:52 For me the spacing seems good, it is, what I could get with the screen measuring tool, about 1.44, or perhaps it is truly the square root of 2 ratio including my error.

I would suggest using several books on music engraving: the stems are too long, they should, for the single notes placed in the staff or on maximum one ledger line, have the length of 3½ spaces.
Many Thanks for your feedback.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Yes, congratulations too!

Concerning the fonts, please check Bravura font, which can definitely be sufficient for you in the farther future.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
amirt

Post by amirt »

OCTO wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 13:43 Concerning the fonts, please check Bravura font, which can definitely be sufficient for you in the farther future.
Great hint, thank you!