Music Paper Colour (opinions needed!)

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
SantaKiwi

Music Paper Colour (opinions needed!)

Post by SantaKiwi »

Hi all

Recently, I received a sample of some new paper my regular paper provider has started making, which has an off-white, blush/nude colour with "high opacity, yet low lightfastness". After doing some research on what this means, the paper has the fascinating ability to purposely lose its tint when exposed to direct light.

Here are some photos of a 9.5" x 12.5" part score that illustrate this (though the camera does half-correct this):
In low light:
20211024_145326.jpg
20211024_145326.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 6145 times
Versus

In direct light:
20211024_145338.jpg
20211024_145338.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 6145 times
Personally, I love the unique colour and it still has enough visibility for musicians to read comfortably (the perks of off-white paper, like cream/ivory) but isn't too flashy either. But I'm worried people will just see this paper and think it's too dull/tinted for proper use.

What're everyone's thoughts? Would love to know!
benwiggy

Re: Music Paper Colour (opinions needed!)

Post by benwiggy »

Hard to know without seeing it in the flesh: so let your eyes be the judge!

Presumably, the pink tint offsets the blue light that's often found in strong lights. Very interesting!
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I personally would be hesitant to use it because lighting can vary so much in different environments as can visual acuity.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
SantaKiwi

Post by SantaKiwi »

True, but surely this is true for all paper and inks? And even in the low light, I don't see a noticeable difference in contrast when compared to ivory paper.

Tomorrow I will print two identical parts using this coloured paper and some stock ivory paper I have on hand and will post them for comparison in various different lights.
SantaKiwi

Post by SantaKiwi »

Hi all

So after trying lots of lighting and distance tests (none of which I could accurately recreate on my camera - apologies!), it does seem that the nude paper is slightly duller than my other test papers, but not by a lot. It's noticeable when directly compared with pure white paper, but not as much when compared to which cream/ivory paper (favoured by most publishers).

Thanks for the feedback, all :)