Old Music Standard

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
OCTO

Old Music Standard

Post by OCTO »

Here is my port of Old Standard, for use within music as text for expression, articulation and so on.
I have fixed the italic f in order to look similar to the stylised f.

version 1.
Attachments
Old Music Standard.zip
version 1
(79.43 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Re: Old Music Standard

Post by John Ruggero »

Fantastic, OCTO!!! This looks like the one I've been waiting for. Goodbye TNR.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

This is really, really well done. The letter spacing is a bit wide, but it grew on me almost instantly. Bravo.

You should post this on Music Engraving Tips, as well as a few other forums, if you haven't already. If you're not on Facebook, I'd be happy to post it, if you have a link or suggested means of making it available.
dankreider.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Dan Kreider wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 01:45 This is really, really well done. The letter spacing is a bit wide, but it grew on me almost instantly. Bravo.

You should post this on Music Engraving Tips, as well as a few other forums, if you haven't already. If you're not on Facebook, I'd be happy to post it, if you have a link or suggested means of making it available.
Thank you. I find a wider spacing somehow useful within music, having in mind Espressivo font (but too wide spacing).

No, I am not on the FaceBook, you can post the link there I would be more than happy, thanks for that.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I like the wide spacing and would actually prefer more space between the two l's in Allegro, which seem to be touching. Also the left sloping line on the capitol A is a little too thick for my taste:
example.jpeg
example.jpeg (9.74 KiB) Viewed 6376 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
David.

Post by David. »

This is great OCTO! Thank you very much. However, I noticed the ligature œ does seem to match very well. But thank you again.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 4.42.45 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 4.42.45 pm.png (137.64 KiB) Viewed 6304 times
macOS Big Sur
Finale 27
JW Plugins
TG Tools
Robert Patterson Plugins
Elbsound Perfect Layout
JoshNichols

Post by JoshNichols »

David. wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 06:45 This is great OCTO! Thank you very much. However, I noticed the ligature œ does seem to match very well. But thank you again.
This is because the "oe" ligature doesn't exist. It's borrowed from a template.
WINDOWS 11 · DORICO PRO 4 · LILYPOND 2.20.X · CUBASE 11 · AFFINITY STUDIO (DESIGNER, PHOTO, PUBLISHER) · DAVINCI RESOLVE

“Complexity is layered simplicity.” – James Wiznerowicz
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I will fix all that in the next version.
Please report any other issue.

One thing is that if you zoom to 1000% you can see many things perhaps you wouldn't like, however when printed it is not likely to be noticed at all.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

There's a world of Czech composers who would love their names to be in this font. Bedřich Smetana, Leoš Janáček, ....

I'd also suggest that the <> glyphs are too large, compared to most other fonts. They are usually just big enough to 'enclose' the x-height.

But a really lovely font. Thank you. Well done on all your hard work.