Fonts for Lyrics

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
tisimst

Re: Fonts for Lyrics

Post by tisimst »

I've used Linux Libertine O on a number of my own scores. It's a great one! Even used it as the font to publish my Masters Thesis in.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

On a related note, I’ve started using Equity by Matthew Butterick and LOVE it. It’s similar to Minion Pro but even narrower. Incredibly legible at small point sizes. I love Matthew’s fonts.
dankreider.com
JoshNichols

Post by JoshNichols »

I am huge fan of Century Supra, myself.
WINDOWS 11 · DORICO PRO 4 · LILYPOND 2.20.X · CUBASE 11 · AFFINITY STUDIO (DESIGNER, PHOTO, PUBLISHER) · DAVINCI RESOLVE

“Complexity is layered simplicity.” – James Wiznerowicz
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Dan Kreider wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 00:53 On a related note, I’ve started using Equity by Matthew Butterick and LOVE it. It’s similar to Minion Pro but even narrower. Incredibly legible at small point sizes. I love Matthew’s fonts.
Equity is definitely another one of my favorites.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Fondly reminiscing over this old thread! I think there's another one somewhere with some later insights.

Bulmer was not that good, on reflection. Other fonts that should have got a mention:

I used Photina for a while. (Its name recalls that it was one of the first fonts designed for use with Photo-litho processes.)

Plantin is used by OUP. I think it's the Sibelius default. There is a slightly condensed version called News Plantin MT, which works better. Though I seem to remember someone having a strong dislike to Plantin, here or on another forum. I prefer it to TNR, at least.

"Caption" optical styles are designed to work well at small sizes. They are actually bigger than other variants (in order to be legible when small), and that confused me for a while. Minion Caption is a solid lyric font.

Linux Libertine is based on Palatino, so 'actual' Palatino might be another option.

However, I settled some years ago on Kepler Caption Semicondensed for my lyrics. It's very readable when small, and Kepler comes in so many weights and styles (160!!) that I can choose a variety of other styles for title pages, prelim notes, as well as musical instructions, etc, etc. So everything can be similar, but not the same.

I also use Arno Pro Caption, along with other styles for the rest of the text, for editions with a deliberately Humanistic 'antique' feel.

But as ever, it's not so much the font, but the balance of the size with the music. There's a 'Goldilocks' zone where it must big enough to be read, but small enough not to distort the music (or not to stretch the music onto several more systems). And of course it must also be harmonious with the other text matter on the page.

I love the 'Didone' fonts like Monotype Modern, Bodoni, etc, but it's hard to find a decent font for lyrics that will match them.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

benwiggy wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 09:58 But as ever, it's not so much the font, but the balance of the size with the music. There's a 'Goldilocks' zone where it must big enough to be read, but small enough not to distort the music (or not to stretch the music onto several more systems). And of course it must also be harmonious with the other text matter on the page.
This is the most accurate explanation of how text typefaces should look like in music scores. Thanks benwiggy!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
NorFonts

Post by NorFonts »

Have you tried Finale Lyrics font now bundled with Finale v27? It looks also nice.
Finale Lyrics Font.png
Finale Lyrics Font.png (172.78 KiB) Viewed 13554 times
Nor Eddine Bahha
https://norfonts.ma
Jazz pianist, composer/arranger, author and Type Designer
JAZZOLOGY Book: https://www.halleonard.com/product/311167/jazzology
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

It's been bundled with Finale for a decade! It's basically a condensed Times. I'm not a huge fan, but it's better than using Times New Roman....
NorFonts

Post by NorFonts »

How about these typefaces ?
  • Hermann
  • Recoleta
  • Blacker
  • ITC Lubalin Graph
  • Linotype Didot
  • Begum
  • ITC Caslon No. 224
  • Sabon
  • Bookmania
  • Gabriela Stencil
Nor Eddine Bahha
https://norfonts.ma
Jazz pianist, composer/arranger, author and Type Designer
JAZZOLOGY Book: https://www.halleonard.com/product/311167/jazzology
MalteM

Post by MalteM »

willy66 wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 01:41 […]
ChatGPT spam (with a fake benwiggy quote containing a link to a webshop (?)) detected.