Sebastian SMuFL font

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
Florian

Re: Sebastian SMuFL font

Post by Florian »

jan wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 18:05 To come back to Sebastian again: I very much recommend to change the name to also avoid conflicts with existing installations of the old Sebastian v1 font. Nasty font cache updates are probably required and/or several font files may exist in the Windows font folders.
There will also be conflicts with old font annotation files and the MacSymbolFonts.txt file, if these aren't replaced correctly.
I can see that changing the font name might help to avoid trouble for some people, but I don't like the idea much; and I also doubt that there are even a lot of users of the old version. People who use music notation software professionally should know how to handle their system's font quirks, and clearing font caches is not a very difficult thing to do.

SMuFL is the way forward for music fonts, and I'm very grateful for all the work Ben has put into Sebastian to make it usable with modern software. Basically to give it the shape that I wanted it to have but which I could not achieve myself. MM does show where they're heading by still *not* supporting SMuFL years after it's been published, and honestly, I admire the people who stick with Finale for their ability to tolerate frustration. They can handle a little more frustration with Sebastian. After all, there never was an official release before, so I never promised that it would be safe and futureproof to use. We do now with 1.0.

That said, this should ultimately be Ben's choice, because he has done all the recent work, and if he decides to change the name I won't oppose.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Florian wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 14:34 I admire the people who stick with Finale for their ability to tolerate frustration.
Love it!

I've updated Sebastian v1.01, with various fixes and improvements.

It now has the best bracket wings and breves of any font!

Unless there are any major problems or glaring issues, then I think it's a pretty solid release, and I don't have much more planned for it. It will work well in Dorico as a general music font, plus dynamics, figured bass, metronome marks, fingerings, etc.

https://github.com/fkretlow/sebastian/r ... /tag/v1.01

Although I've made a FAN for it, I can't see the font being taken up widely by Finale users until Finale becomes SMuFL-compliant, so I don't think there's a problem with it keeping the name.
JoshNichols

Post by JoshNichols »

benwiggy wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 23:07
Florian wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 14:34 I admire the people who stick with Finale for their ability to tolerate frustration.
Love it!

I've updated Sebastian v1.01, with various fixes and improvements.

It now has the best bracket wings and breves of any font!

Unless there are any major problems or glaring issues, then I think it's a pretty solid release, and I don't have much more planned for it. It will work well in Dorico as a general music font, plus dynamics, figured bass, metronome marks, fingerings, etc.

https://github.com/fkretlow/sebastian/r ... /tag/v1.01

Although I've made a FAN for it, I can't see the font being taken up widely by Finale users until Finale becomes SMuFL-compliant, so I don't think there's a problem with it keeping the name.

Bravo, and congratulations! I'll be using it regularly: Can I donate to your cause?
WINDOWS 11 · DORICO PRO 4 · LILYPOND 2.20.X · CUBASE 11 · AFFINITY STUDIO (DESIGNER, PHOTO, PUBLISHER) · DAVINCI RESOLVE

“Complexity is layered simplicity.” – James Wiznerowicz