Introducing Sovietta!

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
JoshNichols

Introducing Sovietta!

Post by JoshNichols »

Hi all!

I'm new here, and I'm excited to share a font I just had created, called "Sovietta." It's reminiscent of the old Soviet plate engravings, but without all of the sloppy plate work which was common in those rushed plates. The inspiration came from the charm of some of Shostakovich's old scores (particularly the 24 preludes/fugues) and string quartets. Here's a comparison:

The original:
dschpr23.png
dschpr23.png (152.37 KiB) Viewed 5039 times
The new:
dschpr23_redux.png
dschpr23_redux.png (92.37 KiB) Viewed 5039 times
I'm in love with the clefs and flats, and the relative compactness of the original. I wanted to keep that without adding too much.
WINDOWS 11 · DORICO PRO 4 · LILYPOND 2.20.X · CUBASE 11 · AFFINITY STUDIO (DESIGNER, PHOTO, PUBLISHER) · DAVINCI RESOLVE

“Complexity is layered simplicity.” – James Wiznerowicz
benwiggy

Re: Introducing Sovietta!

Post by benwiggy »

Is it available to download or purchase? With which notation apps does it work?
JoshNichols

Post by JoshNichols »

benwiggy wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 10:02 Is it available to download or purchase? With which notation apps does it work?
It is compatible with Dorico, as it is SMuFL compliant! This is Abraham Lee's work, and I'm not sure if he'll be selling. I'm sure he'd be willing to share it with you!
WINDOWS 11 · DORICO PRO 4 · LILYPOND 2.20.X · CUBASE 11 · AFFINITY STUDIO (DESIGNER, PHOTO, PUBLISHER) · DAVINCI RESOLVE

JoshNichols

Post by JoshNichols »

It requires a bolder house style, kind of like November 2, otherwise it'll look 'off.'

OCTO

Post by OCTO »

A very nice capture, indeed, congratulations Josh!
Is the font complete, such as Maestro (compatible)?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

Absolutely wonderful (as with pretty much all of Abraham's work) The "balance" is impeccable. Really very hard to take issue with any of the engraving as shown.
JoshNichols

Post by JoshNichols »

OCTO wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 21:03 A very nice capture, indeed, congratulations Josh!
Is the font complete, such as Maestro (compatible)?
It is technically only the clefs, basic accidentals, noteheads, and :piano :forte . Other than that, I'm supplementing with Bravura, which matches the visual aesthetic of these old scores.

JoshNichols

Post by JoshNichols »

Schonbergian wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 21:33 Absolutely wonderful (as with pretty much all of Abraham's work) The "balance" is impeccable. Really very hard to take issue with any of the engraving as shown.
Thanks! I really enjoy this look. I used Dorico to produce the example, and it's little to no tweaks!

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

You said you had created this font in your OP; but then that it is Abraham Lee's work. Is it a joint effort?
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

John Ruggero wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 20:28 You said you had created this font in your OP; but then that it is Abraham Lee's work. Is it a joint effort?
He didn’t say he created it. He said he *had it* created. However, he provided the necessary specimens. So, definitely a joint effort.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge