MusAnalysis

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
John Ruggero

Re: MusAnalysis

Post by John Ruggero »

I restarted my Mac and now the hyphens are correct for the superscript numbers in both the Lyric and Text tools. Unfortunately, this places the hyphens too high for the Roman numerals.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

For those, use a quotation mark.

Sorry, the documentation hasn't caught up with the changes yet.
dankreider.com
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I get hyphens for the Roman numerals with the question mark and longer lines with the quotation mark. Both can become long solid lines if held, but this pushes the first Roman numeral out of position.

I can only get long lines for the superscript Arabic numbers by depressing the hyphen key once with Lyrics>Lyric Options>"Max Space between Hyphens" set to zero. But that rules out individual hyphens with the Lyrics tool. However, they can be placed as articulations or expressions.

To summarize: ideally, there would be hyphens that can be placed as as needed and voice-leading lines that occupy the entire space between the numbers for both the Roman numerals and for the superscript Arabic numbers.

I checked some of the other features and everything seemed to work as described. However, I couldn't deal with the areas of greatest concern: the voice-leading lines, until the issues above are resolved. On first reading, the section on the Backtrack lines and why they would be needed was somewhat rough going, possibly because I wasn't getting the expected results because of the issues above.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

John Ruggero wrote: 09 May 2021, 16:30 I get hyphens for the Roman numerals with the question mark and longer lines with the quotation mark. Both can become long solid lines if held, but this pushes the first Roman numeral out of position.
This is a Finale thing, not a font thing. You need to left-align that lyric. I think it's something like Cmd-left bracket, but it's been a long time since I used Finale.
I can only get long lines for the superscript Arabic numbers by depressing the hyphen key once with Lyrics>Lyric Options>"Max Space between Hyphens" set to zero. But that rules out individual hyphens with the Lyrics tool. However, they can be placed as articulations or expressions.
This is also a Finale thing. The lyric tool will always interpret a hyphen as "jump to the next position." You can instead use a non-breaking hyphen using (I think) Cmd-Shift-hyphen.
To summarize: ideally, there would be hyphens that can be placed as as needed and voice-leading lines that occupy the entire space between the numbers for both the Roman numerals and for the superscript Arabic numbers.

Here again, I think the solution is to use the Lyric tool. You could perhaps place a non-breaking hyphen below a note at the middle of the phrase.

Unfortunately I can't demonstrate some of these things in Finale because I use Windows, and MusAnalysis isn't working in Finale on Windows at present. But I'm quite sure this will work.

For the backtrack, you'd enter the initial analysis (and most of the extenders) as lyrics at the beginning rhythm position, then enter the resolution at the ending rhythmic position. So for this:

https://imgur.com/Kq6H1Fa

You'd input as lyrics V64++++++, then advance to the ending position and enter !2aaa5. The 5 will align under the note, and the line will backtrack so it overlaps the line that comes before.
dankreider.com
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

You are very patient to put up with my inexperience with Finale's lyric tool, Dan. I am going to deal with each of your points individually as I work them out for myself in case it might help someone else.
Dan Kreider wrote: 09 May 2021, 17:42
John Ruggero wrote: 09 May 2021, 16:30 I get hyphens for the Roman numerals with the question mark and longer lines with the quotation mark. Both can become long solid lines if held, but this pushes the first Roman numeral out of position.
This is a Finale thing, not a font thing. You need to left-align that lyric. I think it's something like Cmd-left bracket, but it's been a long time since I used Finale.
Thanks, Dan. I set it to left align all syllables under Lyrics>Lyric Options>Syllable positioning and that fixed the Roman numerals moving out of position. You didn't address the use of a question mark for a hyphen, instead of the quotation mark that you had mentioned previously.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Dan Kreider wrote: 09 May 2021, 17:42
John Ruggero wrote: 09 May 2021, 16:30
This is also a Finale thing. The lyric tool will always interpret a hyphen as "jump to the next position." You can instead use a non-breaking hyphen using (I think) Cmd-Shift-hyphen.
At this point, my only problem is with the extension lines and hyphens for the superscript numerals. You have solved that issue for the Roman numerals with the ? and " keystrokes.

There is a hard hyphen in Finale but that doesn't appear in the correct position for the superscript numbers, only for the Roman numerals. And when used in succession, it doesn't form into a solid line. A little online research seems to indicate that there is no non-breaking hyphen in Finale and that it has been requested to no avail for a long time.

So at this point I can either have solid lines or hyphens with the superscript numerals, but not both. I will go with solid lines by the means I described above and then insert the individual hyphens as articulations or expressions. It remains to be seen if this will actually work for all the different combinations of numerals and lines.

Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

That’s not a big problem, I think the easiest solution would be to assign another character to that same end extender line to allow it to work easily in Finale’s lyric tool.

UPDATE: I've added semicolon for this, since it was unused.
Last edited by Dan Kreider on 10 May 2021, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.
dankreider.com
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

By the way, I’m pretty jazzed about this: in the newest version (as of 10 minutes ago), try typing:

!LL IV V vi V !RR

It’s a really handy way to underline. There’s more functionality along these lines, but that’s an introduction.

Also, ![I[V V6 I V!]]
dankreider.com
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

It sounds like you are making great progress, Dan. Please post the latest version with updated documentation when it is ready. I'm eager to try it out!

Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

Just a quick note to say that MusAnalysis has been updated on Notation Central. I’ve added a ton of things (that “.1” is a big number), and there’s comprehensive documentation now.

Please let me know what feedback you have and I’ll continue making improvements (but I promise not to over-post about it!).
dankreider.com