MusAnalysis

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
John Ruggero

Re: MusAnalysis

Post by John Ruggero »

Dan, thanks for working on this so quickly. The period, exclamation point and equal signs work well. And the hyphens are now centered and that system for entering the 5 :n 3 worked just as you said. You might want to put that in the documentation.

So that leaves only

1. the scale degrees, which work as expected in Finale's Text tool, but here is an example of what happens in the Finale Lyric tool:
Example D.jpeg
Example D.jpeg (16.38 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
Example E.jpeg
Example E.jpeg (15.11 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
After appearing correctly in the editing frame, the glyph splits up as shown once one leaves the editing frame for that line.

2. How does one produce a single hyphen? This what happens with a single depression of the hyphen key when there is some distance between the letters:
Example C.jpeg
Example C.jpeg (3.11 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
A single hyphen is less common, but does occur. See the original example at the beginning of the thread.

3. The parentheses don't center on the numbers precisely because they are super- or subscripts:
Example A.jpeg
Example A.jpeg (3.31 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
Example B.jpeg
Example B.jpeg (3.46 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
4. I understand about the period for baseline numbers. I was just thinking that having also a set of medium baseline numbers might be helpful, for example to distinguish measure numbers from scale degrees and the voice-leading numbers. And come to think of it having yet another baseline set that is superscript size would solve the parentheses problem 3. above.

There are obvious advantages to mapping to intuitive keys for the accidentals, but perhaps consider having also an alternate mapping using adjacent keys, like j k l for those who would prefer that?

I didn't asnwer your question about the exclamation point. Schenker used that to show an unusual moment in the music that deserved special attention. I can imagine that some might also want a question mark to show questionable or dubious moments in the music, as sometimes appear in scholarly editions.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

John,

1. This is a mystery, and I have to chalk it up to a bug in Finale. There's simply no other explanation, unless there's something in the Finale code that reserves the ^ for its own use. I guess scale degrees in Finale will have to be entered with the text tool.

2. This is a limitation of Finale— or more accurately, the intended behavior for the lyric tool. I know there's a non-breaking hyphen and non-breaking spaces available, which you might try if you want to stick with lyric entry. But this also sounds like a candidate for the text tool.

3. Did you use (( and )) for superscript parentheses? Those will align. I don't have subscript parentheses at present.

4. These glyphs exist in the font, I just need to think of an intuitive way of mapping them.

I'm almost finished with the update, including comprehensive documentation. Should be out tomorrow.

Thanks,
Dan
dankreider.com
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

Documentation here, and most recent version here.
dankreider.com
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I installed the latest version and looked through the documentation. I plan to try out the features that I haven't looked at later.
I am almost there with my trial example.

1. Because of the bug in the lyric tool, I used note-attached articulations for the scale steps that I had designed previously. Works fine.

3. Sorry I didn't see that (( )) in your documentation. Works great.

2. Sorry again Dan, I didn't understand that the Finale lyric tool was controlling the hyphens rather than your font, since I rarely use the lyric tool. I want to avoid the text tool whenever possible, since it doesn't move with the note spacing.

I found a solution for the Roman numeral voice-leading lines by modifying the vertical position of the word extensions (underscore key stroke in the Lyric tool). This also allows me to place a small "hyphen" after a symbol by adjusting the length of the word extension. Then I set the hyphens to a 2" minimum, which produces real individual hyphens between two Roman numerals:
Example G.jpeg
Example G.jpeg (4.25 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
But I am still left with the following issue regarding the small numbers. As seen in the following example, in the Text tool (and also Lyric tool), hyphens placed with spaces between numbers stick to the base line. In the Text Tool they appear as they should only when placed immediately after the character. They work well in the Text tool for the long voice-leading lines as long as there is no space placed between the number and the hyphen.
Example H.jpeg
Example H.jpeg (4.8 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

In that final example, your best bet is to insert a space between the number and the first hyphen, which will “break” it and make it centered, not superscript.
dankreider.com
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Dan, I want it to look like this:
Example I.jpeg
Example I.jpeg (4.13 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
But if I put a space after the number, it looks like this:
Example J.jpeg
Example J.jpeg (4.04 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
There are many workarounds, but I am wondering if there is a way to do it within your font.

Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

Ah... of course. Let me think about how to accomplish that.
dankreider.com
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

John Ruggero wrote: 08 May 2021, 18:42 Dan, I want it to look like this:

Example I.jpeg

But if I put a space after the number, it looks like this:

Example J.jpeg

There are many workarounds, but I am wondering if there is a way to do it within your font.
John, here's the latest beta, which should accomplish exactly what you're wanting with the hyphen. I'd be appreciative if you'd kick the tires a bit more, as this is the version I hope to release in a few days. Thanks.
dankreider.com
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Dan, I did install the latest beta but see no change in the position of the hyphens for superscript characters. I'll try some of the other capabilities of your font tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

That’s odd… I’m sure I changed the position of those hyphens. I’ll check again when I’m back at my computer tonight.

Edit: Yes, it works correctly. Maybe try uninstalling the previous, installing the beta, and restarting Finale?

dankreider.com