MusAnalysis

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
Dan Kreider

MusAnalysis

Post by Dan Kreider »

I'm almost finished with a new font for Roman numeral and functional analysis. I call it MusAnalysis. The idea is to be able to type everything into Dorico or Finale or Sibelius, without needing to export to Illustrator.

MusAnalysis will be released soon (for free).

My question: what principles do you think are important for the aesthetics of things like analysis? What makes it beautiful (or ugly)? Is there anything from this example you would change?

Thanks!
dankreider.com
John Ruggero

Re: MusAnalysis

Post by John Ruggero »

This could be exceptionally helpful, Dan. Thank you for all the effort that you are putting into these fonts. I think the font itself looks fine.

Can it could do more complex things like what is enclosed in red:
Analysis Example.jpeg
Analysis Example.jpeg (65.88 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
Note the numbers with carets above.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

Thanks for the feedback, John. Yes, numbers with carets are already included, but there are a few things there I can add.

How would you describe this? Functional analysis? Looks a little like Schenker.
dankreider.com
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

It's a pretty typical example from Schenker's Der Freie Satz.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

John Ruggero wrote: 01 May 2021, 02:14 It's a pretty typical example from Schenker's Der Freie Satz.
Indeed. It’s been 20 years since Schenker for me!

As of this evening, everything in this excerpt is easily achievable in MusAnalysis (except for the funky beams and such... those you have to work out yourself). Thanks.
dankreider.com
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Fantastic, Dan! I look forward to trying it out.

OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Wonderful work!
Questions: is it possible to add (use) all Latin letters? Also, possible to use all super/subscripts? Possible to use symbols under the main symbol?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

All Latin letters are possible, yes. The b I had assigned to the flat symbol (since that’s the most common use), but @b returns the Latin b. Oh, and “n” is natural... I need to adjust that as well...

Unfortunately superscript and subscript are not unlimited, because Dorico does not support full OpenType features, so I have to use contextual alternates and ligatures only. Can you give me an idea of what you would want?

You can put symbols underneath, somewhat. I think the best solution here would be to add a separate line of text (or lyrics), a d then shift it so it appears superimposed. There get to be too many combinations, and the resulting keystrokes become complicated.
dankreider.com
JoshNichols

Post by JoshNichols »

If this is as successful as the image provides, this will be the new standard for analysis. Can it do Neo-Riemannian stuff too?
WINDOWS 11 · DORICO PRO 4 · LILYPOND 2.20.X · CUBASE 11 · AFFINITY STUDIO (DESIGNER, PHOTO, PUBLISHER) · DAVINCI RESOLVE

“Complexity is layered simplicity.” – James Wiznerowicz
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

Indeed, the image is quite legit. :) The only fudging was drawing the lines as text objects and dragging them into place.

You mean with the little arrows underneath? I’m not really familiar with that sort of thing. Can you link to an example?
dankreider.com