Introduction - and questions regarding Figurato

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
Florio60

Introduction - and questions regarding Figurato

Post by Florio60 »

Hello everyone,

this is my first post, having just registered with Notatio. I'm sure this forum will be very helpful. ;)

I have been a Finale (for Windows) user since 2005 and, because I edit a lot of Early Music, have until now been using Ansgar Krause's excellent Figured Bass font. However I have just read about the new Figurato font, and am interested in trying it out.

I'm just wondering if someone can give me some pointers regarding installation. What's the difference between the Figurato font and the FiguratoB font?

I'm also wondering if it is possible to use Figurato symbols in WORD? If so, how does one create a slashed 5 (diminished fifth, or fausse quinte) symbol when not using music notation software?

Many thanks to those who care to reply.

Florio
OCTO

Re: Introduction - and questions regarding Figurato

Post by OCTO »

Is it an OTF font?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Florio60

Post by Florio60 »

I think it is, OCTO, but I know relatively little about it. I first read about it on this forum (viewtopic.php?t=428) and here (https://www.scoringnotes.com/news/figur ... ured-bass/).

Florio
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Ok, no problem.
I will try to explain it in my simple words, but keep in mind that I am not so good as some of people here on the forum - for fonts.

An OTF font has more features and thus ability to combine letters, among others.
For instance if you type two f letters after each other you will get a third letter "ff" which is specifically designed to be a new symbol.
(in the case above nothing happens since we don't use otf fonts on the forum)

So if you need that feature, your application must be able to use it within OTF. Some simple applications don't, but MS Word does. You need to turn ON that feature in Word for your font, and know how to use it to get a proper result: so to speak, what combination gives what result.

I don't have that font, and I don't use Word so I can't be more specific.

For what purpose you need to use it, is it possible to see a screen shot?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

The difference between Figurato and FiguratoB is that one is designed for use above the staff, and one below, so that when you type "75" you get them stacked and aligned correctly. B is for above the staff, because it aligns to the Bottom of the figures.

There is comprehensive documentation on the Figurato github page. https://github.com/fkretlow/figurato

It is primarily designed for use in notation software: Word may not always support all the necessary features of the font. (As witnessed in this thread about one of Florian's other fonts that uses a similar technique.)

You'll have to test it.